Yeast from suppliers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zrule

Reaction score
Have anyone else had this problem? My last two yeast purchases, from two different online suppliers were six weeks old! for a ten gallon batch, I needed 4 litres of starter with two smack packs. It was American ale 1056, which is a pretty common yeast. I use Mr. Malty for calculating yeast requirements. It seems that there should be a better turnover of yeast inventory with the amount of homebrewers today.

It seems that there should be a better turnover of yeast inventory with the amount of homebrewers today.

Im sure the vendor is thinking the same thing.

If you are using a stir plate I would use Kai's yeast calc over at Brewers friend. It's based on research. You'll be surprised by the difference.

Have anyone else had this problem? My last two yeast purchases, from two different online suppliers were six weeks old! for a ten gallon batch, I needed 4 litres of starter with two smack packs. It was American ale 1056, which is a pretty common yeast. I use Mr. Malty for calculating yeast requirements. It seems that there should be a better turnover of yeast inventory with the amount of homebrewers today.

I think mostly there needs to be a better yeast calculator than Mr. Malty. It makes assumptions that I think are incorrect. Use the one in the post above mine.

Yeast are way more resilient than what the yeast calculators imply. How they were [mis]handled can be a more important factor. I have successfully fermented delicious beer from months old yeast that had dried to the bottom of a carboy without any other prep. A 6-week old vial is barely different from getting a vial direct from the lab.

But...But Mr. Malty says 65% viability at six weeks. Brewer's Friend 69%

But...But Mr. Malty says 65% viability at six weeks. Brewer's Friend 69%

The big difference will be in the number of cells produced after X sized starter on a stir plate.

Back