Yeast from primary for lager priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice... I brewed an all-grain lager that is ready for bottling this weekend. It was in primary for 2 weeks and lagered for 4 weeks at 36 F. I'm priming with gyle and I'm trying to decide if it would it be best to add yeast for priming or would this likely be OK without adding yeast? In case it would be safer to add yeast, can I use the yeast I collected from the primary (4 weeks ago) and stored in a sanitized jar in my refrigerator (WLP830)? If so, do I need to make a starter or can I just add the yeast slurry (and how much) after bringing it up to priming temp?

No need to repitch, will be enough yeast for priming. Always had to allow plenty of time to condition for lagers.

That sounds good, I didn't want to mess with it anyway. I'm going to sort of hi-jack my own thread and ask another question about re-using yeast. I'd like to re-use this yeast for another lager. It will have been in the refrigerator for 5 weeks after harvesting from primary when I'd like to use it. However, I didn't "wash" it. I just swirled up the trub from the primary and poured it into a sanitized jar and put it in the refrigerator. It looks good though... it has three layers and the bottom layer is white and is the thickest layer. Can I just pitch this? Do I just use the bottom layer and decant off the rest? If so, do I need to make a starter from it? Once again, thanks... this board is the best on the net IMHO.

This is what Wyeast posts on their site:

Sanitize the opening of the carboy.
Pour the water from one of the quart jars into the carboy. Swirl to agitate the yeast, hop residual, and trub from the bottom.
Pour carboy contents back into the empty jar and replace the cover.
Agitate the jar to allow separation of the components. Continue to agitate periodically until obvious separation is noticeable.
While the viable yeast remains in suspension, pour off this portion, into the second jar, being careful to leave as much of the hops and trub behind as possible.
Agitate the second container to again get as much separation of yeast from particulate as possible. Allow contents to rest, then pour off any excess water from the surface.
Pour off yeast fraction, which suspends above the particulate into the third container. Store this container up to 1 month refrigerated. Pour off liquid and add wort, 2 days before brewing or repitch into a new brew straight away.

Back