Yeast for high temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctor strangebrew

Reaction score
Right now it's surprisingly cool here in California, but that won't last for long. Going to do my best to keep fermenter cool (evaporative/ice methods) and will only do ales. Which yeasts do well at higher temps? I'm using dry yeasts.

Sorry, trouble getting any text entered. I would suggest you get some Kviek yeast. Yeah, I know it's liquid. But... it kicks a** at temps as high at 35c. And you can easily top crop harvest and dry the yeast yourself for use again.

Last edited:
Saisons are your best bet for high temperatures. However can I suggest a cool brewing bag? Very effective for lowering temperature when full control isn’t an option.

Belle Saison. I pitch it in the low 90s and let it ferment at room temp: 80-85 degrees here in Hawaii. Excellent results using this method for the past 10 batches.

I'm in So-Cal (Inland Empire). Wierd cool and rainy weather lately for sure.

High temps... Belgians and Saisons. Saisons can ferment nicely far into the 90's. Eventually you will want to invest in some temp control. It doesn't have to be high tech or expensive. You can get a temp controller for under $50 and grab a used small fridge from the marketplace, craigslist, or whatever buy/sell/trade app you like.

Kveik yeast. It's only available commercially in liquid form, but once you get a start you can use it indefinitely. And don't worry too much about the yeast packet getting too warm in the mail; it likes warm.

I fermented a wheat beer once with T-58 at 80-something degrees and it turned out really nice. So you might try that; it's cheap too.

I just brewed Friday night and have used Hornindal Kveik yeast for the first time. I have it in my garage here in central Iowa. My garage is about 80 during the day so I wrapped my bucket and used my heating strap to hold it around 95. It was about 100F this afternoon and absolutely chugging away! I’m interested to see what happens!

Kveik yeast. It's only available commercially in liquid form
Mainiacal frequently has interesting dried yeast offerings.
https://www.mainiacalyeast.com/online-shop.

... Once you've used it, liquid yeast isn't that scary. Kveik is not only great for high temp but also very forgiving of low pitch rate. If you can ferment around 90-100°F, it's perfect.

Cheers

Right now it's surprisingly cool here in California, but that won't last for long. Going to do my best to keep fermenter cool (evaporative/ice methods) and will only do ales. Which yeasts do well at higher temps? I'm using dry yeasts.
what temperature do you think you could maintain ? US-05 is good up to 77*F. I use it quite a bit in warmer weather, I ferment in my basement where it stays in the mid/upper 70s even in this Alabama heat. I play my brews/yeasts according to the seasons and relative ambient temps I'm able to maintain. Someday...I'm going to wall-in my fermentation area and install a small a/c unit to cool.

I've done Us-05 from 16 to 28C in four days, no off flavors, several times, just to see if it can do it. Key is to start low, then you can just let it rise. I've used a linear rise between those temps at that timeframe.

High temp + Kveik = winning

Goes GREAT in hoppy beers (or at least Voss does which is the bulk of my Kveik experience), as the esters meld beautifully with heavy tropical/citrus hops.

And ferments well in the 90s, like a rocket (talking 7% beer in 3 days), with a low pitch rate.

If you HAVE to use dry yeast, go Belgian.

Belle is a good rec. But be aware Belle Saison is a var. diastaticus strain, and forms a biofilm. Ramp up cleaning and sanitizing accordingly.

I'd rather go Kveik than Belle Biofilm-Infection-Hazard-Saison. Get one vial, harvest it. Here in norway people use about a teaspoon +/- pr 5 gallon batch.

You can also (at least the original Kveiks) just dry it in the oven and break it up in chunks and keep it in a box, and just pitch a chunk of it.

OK, so best options are Kviek yeast, Saison or Omega Hothead. I will try the Kviek (because it is so unique) and I like the hothead, but it's very expensive (will try it once) but any suggestions for dry ale yeasts? I will use "swamp" setup with fan... might do OK.

I also do cider. Currently using "pasture champange" yeast (supposedly does well at higher temps) Same question for dry ale yeasts (but for cider)

OK, so best options are Kviek yeast, Saison or Omega Hothead. I will try the Kviek (because it is so unique) and I like the hothead, but it's very expensive (will try it once) but any suggestions for dry ale yeasts? I will use "swamp" setup with fan... might do OK.

I'd try Us-05

"Hothead" is a kveik yeast. It has evolved over hundreds of years to be reused over and over. It's only new in the US. So it's only "very expensive" once. :) (what is it, about $8 plus shipping?) You should even be able to make your own dried yeast from the sediment of first batch of beer.

More like $11, but now I understand I can reuse it sounds great! I checked out Saison and want to make one with orange zest and coriander. Thanks to all for the advice.

Will use some wheat for sure. Can I do a "partial mash" or just use DME? I do 3 gallon batches and want to try partial mash anyway. How do I use orange zest and coriander? Boil in the wort or steep and add when kegging?

Will use some wheat for sure. Can I do a "partial mash" or just use DME? I do 3 gallon batches and want to try partial mash anyway. How do I use orange zest and coriander? Boil in the wort or steep and add when kegging?

I don't have much experience with them but you boil them in the wort, adding them near the end of the boil. Ten minutes maybe?

Kveik are a good option for you and if you can keep the culture clean then you could extend that $11 for years.

When using coriander and orange peel add it after flame out as you chill the wort. This is hot enough and long enough to pasteurize the spices but hot enough to extract flavor without boiling it off.

Got it... end of boil. By the way, I always seem to to get back into brewing just when the warm weather is coming... wish I could do a nice dark german lager but will have to wait a long time for that. I've always wanted to try some more interesting "strange" brews (live up to my user name) It really sucks... I lived the past 10 years way up in the mountains with soft clean water and plenty of snow... just take the brew kettle out and sit it in the snow. Now I live back in the city with hard chlorinated water and over 100 degree summers.

Latest posts

Back