Yeast for Federweisser (Federweißer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moors

Reaction score
I made a batch of Federweißer using Welch's White Grape Juice (Niagara grapes) and Lalvin yeast EC-1118. Going for the true southern German style, I let it ferment a few days, rapidly chilled to halt/slow yeast activity, and consumed within a week or so.

The Federweißer style calls for:

- No stabilizing. Even after chilling, the yeast continues to work so it should be consumed shortly after brewing.
- Light fizz due to residual dissolved CO2 from fermentation.
- Sweet taste from residual sugars.
- Cloudy due to suspended yeast (ergo, the name of the drink).

Brewing notes: I added some yeast nutrient and oxygen (using a diffuser stone) to the grape juice before adding the reconstituted yeast. To avoid cold-shocking the yeast (reconstituted at 40C), I heated the grape juice up slightly (warm to the touch) before oxygenating and adding the yeast. The fermentation took place in a large Erlenmeyer Pyrex flask with aluminum foil on top.

My first taste was bad. The yeasty tartness was extremely strong and unpleasant. I transferred to a 2-liter bottle with a CO2 gassing adapter, pressurized with a few pounds of CO2 to maintain the fizz for a few days.

After several days, the taste settled down considerably. It was much tastier, maintaining a slight cloudiness to some suspended yeast, and a bit fizzy from being stored in a pressurized container. It lacked the sweetness required by the style, so I added some cane sugar.

1. I suspect the Lalvin EC-1118 has a pronounced yeasty taste when still suspended. Since Federweißer is to have suspended yeast, is there another selection that has a softer taste?

2. The EC-1118 burned the sweetness from the must, even after only 3-4 days of fermentation. I had to add more sugar after chilling to get the sweetness demanded by the style. Since EC-1118 is 18% tolerant, I suspect it's too aggressive for the style and doesn't leave enough sugar behind.

I suppose the best route is to start with higher OG and use a yeast with a very sharp alcohol tolerance cutoff, so the yeast will leave predictable residual sugar behind. The EC-1118 tolerance of 18% is a bit high, so maybe something lower but still predictable (such as the 71B-1122 at 14%). Any ideas for something in the 10-12% range?

I've never made Federweisser, so this is only theory, but I would try an ale yeast. Something like S04, fermented at a cool-ish temperature (like 62 degrees) for a couple of days, and then crash cooled. That may get you something without a yeasty taste.

Champagne yeast like EC1118 is generally pretty flavor neutral, that's why I use it for soda. But when I make soda, I stick the bottles in the fridge on about day two or three (when the bottles get hard), and pour off of the yeast when I serve.

No need to oxygenate or make a starter- just adding the yeast to 65 degree must would be great and not encourage the yeast to go gangbusters.

I'll give S04 a shot. This stuff is really easy to make. It's easier to make a batch than do a bunch of reading and research.

Grape must doesn't have the complex sugars and nutrients familiar to beer wort, so I'm not sure what Ale yeast will do. Wine yeasts are more suitable for low nutritional environments. The S04 is advertised to 10%. I'll see where it goes after 3-4 days.

D47 is another good yeast option that is a relatively slow fermenter and has a low alcohol/nutrient tolerance before giving up and leaving the wine sweet w/o creating H2S. The yeast also has a pineapple taste that may be pleasant in the federweisser.

Latest posts

Back