Yeast for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmgxsolutions

Reaction score
What is a good yeast to use for an IPA?

What are the differences between different strains of yeast... does it make a big difference in taste?

jbsg02 said:
1056/001 is a popular choice, dennys fav 50 is pretty awesome in ipas too

+1 for Wyeast1056 American ale or equivalent.

As far as other yeasts being different... I wouldn't use a Belgian or a sour blend for an IPA; otherwise it wouldn't be an IPA. Not saying it wouldn't be a good beer though, that's why many of us Homebrew. :)

You want a neutral flavored yeast strain. IPAs are all about the hop flavors and aromas, so you don't want anything that is going to have a competing flavor. WLP001/WLP090 and Wyeast 1056 seem to be the best for American style IPAs and for English style IPAs I've only used WLP023.

I'm using a belgian strain today for an IPA....

....am AmeriBelgian IPA :D

Edit:
But normally a clean fermenting, not heavily flocculationg yeast strain will be best (pacman, us05, wlp001, wy1056, us west coast, chico, nottingham, plus a multitude of others)

I just bottled my Belgian IPA with WY3522 Ardennes, it's a huge favorite and this one was made with my fresh cascades, wet hopped and it's wicked good

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am going through some soulsearching brewing a Hop Rod Rye IPA. I added a tiny taste of peated malt in the grainbill. Then i was thinking, why not make it a belgian IPA... - basically switsh safale 05 with t-58.. Should I do it? :)

rogerlight said:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am going through some soulsearching brewing a Hop Rod Rye IPA. I added a tiny taste of peated malt in the grainbill. Then i was thinking, why not make it a belgian IPA... - basically switsh safale 05 with t-58.. Should I do it? :)

Split the batch?

Back