Yeast "floaters" in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOBTHEukBREWER

Reaction score
My last 2 brews, both pale bitters around 2.4% ABV have contained solid yeast floaters about 2 mm diameter at the stage when the beer is very clear and ready for bottling. They hang in suspension neither rising or falling, and are not associated with visible gas bubbles. There are about 50 in a 3 gallon brew. I remove them by sieving with a fine nylon mesh prior to bottling. The beer is exceptionally clear at the bottling stage some 4 to 5 days after yeast pitch.

The only changes from my normal method are:

3 gallon brew not 6 - I still use whole packet of safale 04.
2.4% ABV rather than 3.8% ABV.
fermenter is stainless steel pan rather than plastic bucket.

The finished beer after 7 days in bottles does not contain floaters.

Any ideas, folks?

Sounds like its just yeast in solution. It may just be resting on the surface tension. No biggie, I would say it happens quite often, especially in primary. Also, I would think with these batches of yours that have double the yeast would be more prone to having yeast in suspension. Once you bottle and the put those bottles in the fridge for drinking, it cold crashes and will settle to the bottom. I wouldn't worry one bit about adding those chunks of yeast to the bottles. If you reeeeeeallly just neeeeeed to get rid of it for personal OCD, cold crashing the whole primary batch would help. Really not neccessary. Totally don't fret about it.

Any ideas, folks?

Does it look anything like this?

dsc_00094-31920.jpg

If so....they are yeast rafts and it is very normal.

Sounds like too much yeast for the volume of brew and fermentable sugar. Not enough sweets to go around, and when primed for bottles it settles out after carbonation. No big deal, s-04 does work fast and clears very well in a short time. Try a half pack for 3 gal batches with a low ABV. Just thinken. I use a full pack on brews over 6 ABV, 5.5 gal. and they are done in 7-9 days but clear out nicly at 28 days; and still have a floater here & there. Cheers:)

Latest posts

Back