Yeast Expiriment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuanMoore

Getting the banned back together
Reaction score
I recently decided to try a little expiriment to compare a few different types of yeast. I wanted to get a clear picture as to what different flavors each yeast created, so that I could choose the yeast that might best compliment a particular recipe. The idea came to me when I was reading about SMaSH brewing, and I thought this would add another dimension to that concept.

I decided on an IPA, because that is probably the style I will be brewing most often, and brewed a 5 gal batch using pale malt, one specialty malt, and only one hop variety. After cooling and aerating the whole batch, I then split the wort into 5 one gallon jugs, and pitched a different yeast to each one. I used 1 dry yeast, 2 liquid Ca yeasts, and 2 liquid Belgian yeasts.

It's still a few days away from being ready to bottle, but I've already seen some enlightening things. The most interesting thing is the huge differences in color. Even though they all started out the same color, the color and turbidity during fermentation was greatly varied. They ranged from almost no color change from the original wort, to a murky greenish brown, to a bright orange.

The lag-times were almost identical, and all the fermentations seem to be on a very similar schedule. I've been rotating the bottles inside my fermentation fridge daily to even out any temperature differences there might be between the back and front, left and right, etc.

Now that fermentation is almost over, they have all returned to a color similar to the original wort, but there are still noticeable differences between them. I took some pictures, but it seems that I don't have enough posts under my belt yet to be able to show them. I'll try share the pictures and results soon.

Has anyone ever heard of the yeast strain having a significant impact on the color of the finished beer? Do you think the colors will all equalize by the time fermentation is complete?

Has anyone ever heard of the yeast strain having a significant impact on the color of the finished beer? Do you think the colors will all equalize by the time fermentation is complete?

I have never heard of color, but taste seems to be the difference (at least that is what I have heard).

Very interested in seeing what you discover. Thanks for posting, this should be very enlightening.:mug:

I took some pictures, but it seems that I don't have enough posts under my belt yet to be able to show them. I'll try share the pictures and results soon.

You can upload the pics to a site like photobucket and link the urls, I don't think that would be a problem. Looking forward to hearing the results of the taste tests, especially the belgian strains in an IPA.

Could the color difference be attributed to trub from the boil kettle? Did you use hop pellets? If so, they could have gotten into the fermentation vessels at different intervals and that could change the color.

I'm just now tasting the results of my expiriment. I bottled these a couple weeks ago, and by bottling time the colors had almost completely evened out. The two less flocculent ones still had a slightly more orange tinge to them, but it was really minor. Here's a pic comparing a couple of them during early fermentation.
079.jpg

After looking closely, I think the difference was mainly in the flocculation and the way the yeast clumps together. Some of them the yeast clumped together in large chunks that I could see swirling around, leaving the color fairly clear. With others the yeast didn't clump together at all, and all the small particles floating around made it murky and orange or tan in color. The WLP051 (california V) clumped togther in big clumps, WLP575 (belgian blend) had very little clumping and was bright orange, WLP550 (belgian) had very little clumping, and was a light orange color, WLP001 (california) and Nottingham dry yeast both had moderate clumping and were tan in color.

The tasting complete, the WLP001 and Nottingham were very similar in flavor and attenuation. The liquid did seem to have just a slightly cleaner flavor, but it was hard to tell the difference. The WLP051 seemed very similar to the other two american yeasts but with less attenuation. The WLP551 was very spicy and had a very strong "belgian" sourness to it that overshadowed the hops a little bit. The blend (WlP575) might have been my favorite if it had attenuated a little better. It had a nice mild spicy sourness, without overwhelming the hops.

I think I'll try this again soon with a couple more yeasts. The only downside to doing this is how much space the 5 one gallon carboys take up in my fermentation fridge. It means I can only have 3 batches going at once instead of 4.

Back