Yeast Clumps, Lumps, Bumps or Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparcel

Reaction score
Hello all.. I don't post much but I have decided this is a good time...

I try not to bottle in clear bottles, but sometimes it is necessary due to lack of green or amber bottles. This brew has been sitting in bottles for about 3 or 4 months in a room that we kind of forget about sometimes, and the temperature ranges from 60's to high 80's (it was not fermented in this room, it only serves as storage).

I would check the bottom of the bottles from time to time to see how they were coming along, that is when I noticed a thin layer on the bottom in addition to 3 or 4 large clumps that had formed. I am not sure what an infection looks like so I am not able to tell if this is or is not infected. Does the exposure to light cause these clumps or the temperature range or is it just wierd yeast activity? Also, I had a few green bottles and they do not show signs of these clumps, only a nice thin layer of yeast on the bottle.

I tried searching the web for yeast clumps, yeast bumps and yeast lumps in beer bottles, which most of them led me to several different STD diagnosis sites which I found rather amusing..

DSCN2126.jpg

DSCN2127.jpg

DSCN2130.jpg

[...]I tried searching the web for yeast clumps, yeast bumps and yeast lumps in beer bottles, which most of them led me to several different STD diagnosis sites which I found rather amusing..

In all my years of bottling brew, I've never, ever seen anything like that before. Which leads me to believe that your beer has The Clap. :eek:

(Ok, you know that had to be said ;) )

According to everything I've ever read, beer won't sustain anything that could actually kill you, so I'd say open one of those weird bottles, pour it into a glass, and if you get past The Sniff Test, give it The Taste Test.

If we don't hear from you again, we'll know that whole "can't actually kill you" thing is just an old brewer's tale ;)

Cheers - and Good Luck With That

Are those actually sticking to the side of the bottle or just suspended from tilting the bottle for the photo?

They do not stick to the side, they will settle on the bottle. It was tough to get the picture on the bottom so I had to move them around the bottle.

Drank the ovulating flavor crystals bottle last night and it smelled fine and it tasted great, so I am going with freak yeast activity. Just waiting for STD symptoms to start showing.

Do all of your bottles have them?

It looks like mold. My prediction is that the bottles were stored with some moisture in them and they grew some mold, The bottles were not cleaned before putting beer in them and not you have mold disks floating in the beer (they came off the sides/bottoms where they were growing).

Latest posts

Back