Yeast choice for a "raisiny" brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggiegentry123

Reaction score
I want to make a brown ale using flaked oats and make it reminiscent of an oatmeal cookie, so I wanted to find a good yeast that may give that raisiny character. Any suggestions? I feel like I've read that the English ale yeast strains will work for what I'm looking for, just not sure if any one is better than the other.

Raisin flavor does not come from the yeast, it comes from the malt. Steep about an ounce of Belgian Special B malt (crushed) per gallon that you are brewing, and it will give you a lovely raisin flavor. Or maybe two ounces/gallon. Somewhere in that range. The yeast selection is not critical. I use whatever's cheap.

A combo of biscuit, special b, oats and some cara malt should get you moving in the right direction. Careful with the special b though, a little goes a long way. If you overdo it, you'll end up with a single note of burnt raisin. As for yeast, 1968 works great in a brown ale. It adds a fruitiness that mixes well with the dark malts.

Oh, ok. For some reason I had thought that certain strains would give that raisiny flavor profile. Didn't realize that was solely based on grain selection. Luckily I have a pound of the Belgian special B already for the recipe. Thanks!

Nice. I would go about 1-3% on the special b. Let us know how it turns out!

Victory and crystal together has given me raisin qualities before.

Latest posts

Back