Yeast cell counts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpopp

Reaction score
I recently started using dry yeast, up until then I had always used Wyeast smackpacks. The yeasts that I'm currently using are Safale US-04 and Safale US-05. I'm finding all kinds of conflicting information related to cell count and how much yeast I need to use for a given beer. For a beer with an O.G. of 1.066, how many 11.5 gram packets do I need to use? I have also read that making a starter with dry yeast may or may not be a good idea, due to making a starter with dry yeast can tend to burn out the yeast prior to pitching. I have read that the cell count can range between 6 billion cells per gram (Fermentis) to as much as 20 billion cells per gram ( Mr. Malty). With all of this conflicting info out there, what should I believe? Most of my beers range in O.G. from 1.060 to 1.078. Thanks for any help you can provide.

I don't get too wound up on dry yeast cell counts, I assume whatever the cells counts are they're consistent, and pitch two packs per 10 gallons of sub-1.062 wort, 3 packs from there up to 1.080, and four packs up to 1.107 - by far my biggest beer, an imperial stout, which never fails to reach FG.

I've never made a starter from a dry yeast pack - but I have harvested US-05 and S04 and used that in starters. No issues there...

Cheers!

Back