Yeast cake from 5 gallons to 10 gallons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atom

Reaction score
Is it reasonable to think that the yeast cake from a 5 gallon 1.060 IPA is enough to ferment 10 gallons of a 1.100 RIS? 007 if it matters.

Yeah totally. The yeast reproduce after being pitched. You may want a second opinion, as I'm a novice.

I am thinking i usually collect around 1 liter of slurry from a 5 gal batch... I need 800 ml for the stout, so i think I'm good... I just am looking for verification.

Plenty. Usually only need to repitch 200-250 ml of slurry for a similar strength batch which is only a small part of the whole, so you should be more then good to go.

You should be fine. If you check out any yeast calculator put in 20 liters for the starter volume and no stir plate. When you see the number of cells produced and compare it to the number needed for the beer you're brewing you'll be well prepared for such a brew.

How are you going from a 5 gallon batch to a 10 gallon? Adding some of the RIS wort to the yeast cake, swirling it up then pitching it into a 10 gallon vessel or are you splitting the RIS into two batches and attempting to split the yeast cake 50/50?

You should be fine. If you check out any yeast calculator put in 20 liters for the starter volume and no stir plate. When you see the number of cells produced and compare it to the number needed for the beer you're brewing you'll be well prepared for such a brew.

How are you going from a 5 gallon batch to a 10 gallon? Adding some of the RIS wort to the yeast cake, swirling it up then pitching it into a 10 gallon vessel or are you splitting the RIS into two batches and attempting to split the yeast cake 50/50?

The plan is to dump it into a 2l flask and swirl it and split between 2 fermenters.

The plan is to dump it into a 2l flask and swirl it and split between 2 fermenters.

Latest posts

Back