Yeast Boats?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the7yearplan

Reaction score
I brewed a 2.5 gallon batch of beer yesterday and pitched a full 11g pack of Safale S-04. I know this is over pitching but half a pack seemed like a waste. Fermentation started but this morning there were also little white floating boats on top of the krasen. Are these just yeast boats or is it something I should be worried about? If need be I'll have my girlfriend snap a better picture.

Sorry for the quality of the photo. It was hard to get a clear shot into the carboy.

6564-yeast-boat.jpg

shhhhhhhh...calm down...I think your ok...give the yeast a chance to work. Besides, I can't tell anything from your photo!

Put a cover on that carboy so you can't see what is happening and have a beer. Everything works out better that way.

This is the reason fermentation buckets are opaque. Can you take the cap off and get a picture directly down the mouth of the carboy without the glass in the way? I've actually never seen fermenting wort, would like to see what it looks like :D

Back