Yeast Blend Conversion Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elganso

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewing up a Stone Cali-Belgiue clone and using White Labs WLP575 Belgian Yeast Blend along with a standard Stone IPA clone. The starter never took off like I wanted, but since I was crunched for time, I pitched it anyway. This was about 36 hours ago and have had zero activity. Temp has been steady around 68 degrees. Took the lid off this morning and stirred it and increased the temp a bit. Still gettin' nothing.

So, figured I'd repitch, but my LHBS only has Wyeast strains. Here's what I have per the conversion chart (per Mr. Malty):

WLP575 Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend made up of WLP500, WLP530, WLP550

• WLP500 Trappist Ale
  • WLP530 Abbey Ale Yeast
  • WLP550 Belgian Ale Yeast

Conversion to Wyeast:

• 1214 Belgian Ale Yeast
  • 3787 Trappist High Gravity
  • 3522 Belgian Ardennes

So, the question for those who understand these dark arts better:

A) Do I purchase a blend of Wyeast packs and just pitch a combo (the LHBS has 1214 and 3787 in stock).

B) Do I just go with a single, say, Trappist strain and see how it goes?

C) Do I just forget about my blend and do something like a Belgian Strong Ale (WLP570 or Wyeast 1388), which seems to be a typical strain that people use for Belgo-IPAs?

Thanks a bunch for any help.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but have you taken a gravity reading to ensue there is no activity, or are you just relying on visual clues like airlock activity or kräusen?

Unless you are sure the yeast was dead, I'd suggest being a little patient, if the starter took off at all, it means the yeast is not dead, but perhaps underpitched a bit.

sorry if this is a silly question, but have you taken a gravity reading to ensue there is no activity, or are you just relying on visual clues like airlock activity or kräusen?

Unless you are sure the yeast was dead, i'd suggest being a little patient, if the starter took off at all, it means the yeast is not dead, but perhaps underpitched a bit.

+1

I hadn't checked the gravity... definitely should have before posting, sorry about that.

However, after a gravity check, there was no discernible change from 2 days ago. My starter never really got going, although I detected some lovely caramels and bananas in the starter... so figured it may be alive but just sleepy.

I went ahead and grabbed a pack each of the Wyeast Trappist and Abbey yeasts and we'll see how that goes.

However, if anyone has thoughts on the blending, etc., I'd be happy to know for further education value.

Cheers!

Unfortunately I don't have any insight on how to blend the same as WLP575, other than to say White Labs may be willing to let you know.

I've used 575 for 4 batches now (washed) and I find it to be very difficult to kick start in a starter. The first go fresh out of the vial took a white to get going -- and a LOT of aeration -- and washed versions afterwards have been even more cranky. However, once it gets going, it GOES. I pitched a mason jar of the stuff at high krausen and it tore through three gallons of 1.100 quad like it was nothing.

I don't know if you have already repitched but you may want to try aerating the wort you have like you have never aerated before and raise the temp up to 75 or higher.

I've got a second starter going with the new yeast for repitching later tonight... but I'll give the stuff in the fermenter one last college try. Whilst aerating, I'll also make sure to inform them that they better get rolling or they'll be having company soon. :)

Thanks for the info on the 575. I really loved the aromas I was getting from that starter, even if it didn't behave for me. Will give it another go in a future batch... but will plan on a much longer time to get the starter going.

Back