Yeast Bay Amalgamation Brett Starter Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuda6pak

Reaction score
I decided to try out Brett for the first time with a 100% Brett fermented IPA, 1.055 OG. Not thinking I looked at hybrid calculations on Mr malty and with with that pitching rate for an 11.5gal batch, but did not realize that the Yeast Bay Brett vials were such a low cell count vs mixed strain or single sacc strains.

I pitched 3 vials of Amalgamation into a 3L starter where it's been sitting now for day 5 on medium to low on my stir plate. I can't discern any sort of fermentation. The wort is still that standard dark brown with what looks like all the little particles of DME swirling around. No Krausen either.

My plan was to brew this weekend after 8d of stir plate, but now Im questioning that. What options do I have? Pitch alongside a few packs/vials of a 100% Wyeast or WL Brett and hope for the best? Dump and try again? I don't want to pitch with sacc as I don't want fermentation to drag out for months on this particular beer.

Check the gravity in your starter and see if it's fermenting. I've found it depends on the strain, but brett can take a little while to get going. That combined with stir plate activity could explain why you're not seeing krausen forming. I used Amalgamation in a Jester King Wytchmaker clone about a year ago. I made a starter and it still had a lag of about three days before I saw active signs of fermentation, so I wouldn't worry too much until checking the starter gravity.

I debated whether or not to make this thread for a few days knowing everything I've read that Brett is finicky and unpredictable, but thought 5 days on a stir plate should have been enough.....Nope! Got home last night and still no discernable change. Thought about moving it somewhere warmer, came back after an hour and a tiny little Krausen started forming. Few hours later it's raging like a regular starter.

IMG_20170112_204100.jpg

IMG_20170113_065859.jpg

I made a saison November of 2015 with French saison yeast primary and then pitched a vial of Amalgamation. I have only taken one sample since the second pitch, but really enjoyed what I tasted. I picked up strong fruity/strawberry notes. I really need to get around to bottling that. I'd be interested in how your 100% Amalgamation turns out.

I made a saison November of 2015 with French saison yeast primary and then pitched a vial of Amalgamation. I have only taken one sample since the second pitch, but really enjoyed what I tasted. I picked up strong fruity/strawberry notes. I really need to get around to bottling that. I'd be interested in how your 100% Amalgamation turns out.

Mine will be based closely off m00ps recipe

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=539881

:mug:

Back