Yeast banking mixed cultures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicali

Reaction score
I picked up a vial of wlp670 American farmhouse ale and was wondering if I could harvest some of the yeast from the starter for later use. This will be my first brett beer. From what I have read underpitching brett is not a big deal, is it safe to assume that a 5ml sample from my 1L starter will have enough brett to count?

Hey I subscribed!
https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-bank/wlp670-american-farmhouse-blend

The answer is yes.
It is a blend so with propagation the ratio will drift, probably a lot. This probably doesn't matter if you're planning to use the propagated culture in secondary.

My question is: why would you only want to harvest 5mL?
Why not over-build your starter so you have a larger amount to save? It's not too late!

I usually mix 5-7ml of slurry and mix with half a 30% glycerin/water mixture then use those vials for starters. I do have I think one 50ml vial around that I could use for this though, if you think the usually amount collected isnt sufficient

but thanks for the reply- I was 99% sure it would work given the underpitch not being a big deal and the risk of brett contamination for soft side stuff

Sounds fine to me :)
Like I said, the blend will be different next time and might produce different character to some extent.
Cheers

You'd be better off banking from the original packet rather than the starter.

Back