Yeast and Lactobacillious combined in starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acroporabrewer

Reaction score
Saturday night I made a 5L starter for my blonde, which required Kolsch yeast. It was close to midnight when I pitched and the pack of Lactobacillious and Yeast looks very similar. Well after adding in the second pack of yeast to the starter, I realized that the first pack that I dumped into the starter was lactobacillious and not yeast. So now I have a starter of Lacto and Yeast combined that I don't know what to do with. Should I brew a batch and fermit with this or dump it? I guess I can use my glass carboys for the souring or should I use different equipment for souring?

Assuming your blonde has at least 15 IBU and you're fermenting at a normal kolsch temperature, the Lacto will do absolutely nothing to the beer.
Personally I would use it.

Lab-grown Lacto is super wimpy with any hops present in the beer.

Cheers

Thanks for the info. So change up the style and don't add any hops? I've only used Lactobacillious in kettle sours where I add ibu's after the souring.

What Lacto do you have? Some species won't produce much sourness in the temperature range of the kolsch yeast.

If you DO want it sour, use no hops in the boil. You can dry hop later or use a hop tea later for some IBU if desired.

If you DO NOT want it sour, add hops as normal and it'll be just a normal non-sour beer ...or maybe slightly sour if the starter was un-hopped.

Hope this makes sense

Very interesting. This does make a lot of sense. I have not thought about adding ibu's , possibly even making a hoppy blonde to deter souring. The Lacto I am using is a blend of lactobacillus plantarum and brevis.

OYL-605 (that's what you have, right?)
Should sour it, but only without any hops present.

"Note also that the blend is extremely hop sensitive, so make sure to add only to unhopped wort."

... So either way you want to go is totally fine.

Happy brewing!

I've never actually used Omega but I've always imagined that this Lacto I get is really close. It is from a local yeast bank in NC.

Note that if you use hops, it'll just inhibit the lactic acid production. It won't outright kill the LAB, so reuse any starter/slurry with caution since it should carry through the LAB into the next beer it's pitched into.

Back