Yeast and fusel alcohol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinyard

Reaction score
If you pitch yeast at too high of a temperature, which I have done three times now with no problems, can the high temperatures create fusel alcohol? I've used safale us-05 all three batches. OG:1.085 and second gravity reading after one week was 1.024. I went for a higher abv/malt presence this batch, unlike the others. There was a noticeable alcohol presence but not that funky banana taste that accompanies fusel (from what I have read), But i could be surprised next reading/tasting. I am worried because of my inexperience. I have now learned that controlling temperatures will make for a better batch and will be doing so going forward.

banana taste generally refers to ester production (also related to high temps), fusel alcohol tastes more like rubbing alcohol. Yes, pitching at high temps produces fusels, I didn't pay attention to this in my first few batches and even with moderate gravity beers all my brews tasted like they had a shot of whiskey in them. You'll notice a huge difference by controlling temps and being more patient with pitching.

More patience is definitely needed before pitching. I will take another reading and taster this weekend as that will have been two weeks. Hopefully the second week plus another few days dry hopping in a secondary will tone down the alcohol presence before bottling. I wouldn't say it was similar to rubbing alcohol is taste/presence but definitely noticeable. I'm a huge fan of higher abv beers but don't want that fusel flavor. Thanks for the comments.

If you pitch yeast at too high of a temperature, which I have done three times now with no problems, can the high temperatures create fusel alcohol? I've used safale us-05 all three batches. OG:1.085 and second gravity reading after one week was 1.024. I went for a higher abv/malt presence this batch, unlike the others. There was a noticeable alcohol presence but not that funky banana taste that accompanies fusel (from what I have read), But i could be surprised next reading/tasting. I am worried because of my inexperience. I have now learned that controlling temperatures will make for a better batch and will be doing so going forward.

Pitching your yeast at to high of a temperature will not necessarily produce fusel alcohols. Fermenting at to high of temperature can produce fusel alcohols. Pitching at high temperatures and then bringing the wort down to optimum fermenting temperature will negate fusel alcohol production if the temp drop is before active fermentation.

A sudden drop in wort temperature after pitching the yeast can increase lag time for active fermentation to begin.

Fusel alcohol in a beer is a very harsh alcohol bite at the back of the throat.

Great information.

What are the differences in the start of active fermentation if pitched at too high of temperatures compared to ideal temperatures? I may want to consider leaving the batch sitting for an extra day or two I guess to allow for further settling. I do feel relieved however that what i tasted was more than likely not fusel.

you can get fruity off flavors from pitching too high, often apple/banana/clove, etc. Also, even if not fusel, you the beer can have a "hot alcohol" bite to it, which is probably what you were picking up. I'd leave it for more than an extra day or two to clean up, I typically leave my batches in the primary for at least 3 weeks before I even check the gravity.

Great information.

What are the differences in the start of active fermentation if pitched at too high of temperatures compared to ideal temperatures? I may want to consider leaving the batch sitting for an extra day or two I guess to allow for further settling. I do feel relieved however that what i tasted was more than likely not fusel.

If you're tasting an alcohol bite and it's not a really high ABV beer, you may well be tasting fusel alcohols. Please don't think that you're not causing problems in your beer by pitching at a high temp, because in all likelihood you are.

There are ways to get your wort down to the best temp for pitching, which is about 60-62*F for most ales. Even if you have to delay pitching for several hours while the wort sits in a cold place (like a fridge) to get to that temp, that's preferable to pitching hot. Batches pitched too warm tend to begin fermenting too warm as well.

Latest posts

Back