YAY! First Successful Brew Day Under My Belt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dprbrts42

Reaction score
Had a great brew day yesterday where we brewed the Northern Brewer Caribou Slobber Kit. The brew went well, I think we hit all the numbers that we needed to. I have a couple of questions.

First: The kit recommends fermenting between 65 and 75 degrees and I have set the chamber to 68 degrees, any specific recommendations on temp?

Second: The taste of the wort just prior to pitching had a great very sweet malt flavor. Along with that was a pretty bitter taste similar to a tea that has been steeped for a overly long time. Is this something that will mellow out during fermentation and what exactly were we tasting?

And a PIC! This was taken about 26 hours post brew.
firstbrew.jpg

Nice! Pretty cool you are fermenting your first batch in a fermentation chamber. Most people don't get to that for a year or two.

1. 68 should be ok, remember that during fermentation the yeast creates heat so the beer will probably be fermenting a couple degrees higher than the air in your chamber.

2. Flavors will mellow out.

Grays! The temp is down to yeast working properly and the beer style so anywhere in that area is great. Never judge the taste prior to fermentation - it'll taste completely different when its finished!

68 is a good temp. How you describe the flavor, the sweet is fine, just what wort tastes like...however, the description you give of the bitter flavor makes me think astringent tannins more than bitter. That would be an important distinction as wort has a sharp bitter character that mellows as it ferments. However, if you got astringency in there it won't go away. Is this 100% extract or did you use specialty grains?

The brewing chamber was a must as the wife will not allow the beer inside which left the garage as my only choice. Current ambient temp in garage is 90 degrees.

The kit did come with about a half pound of specialty grains. Which I started steeping at 168 and removed after 20 minutes per the instructions.

The taste while bitter, was far from being too bitter for me to drink. I'm brewing to share and while I love the likes of Pliny most of my friends prefer a much lower bitterness.

In my opinion, 68 degrees is pretty much ideal for most ales. Also, wort doesn't really taste anything like the final beer because none of the sugars have fermented out. It usually tastes extremely sweet/malty, and can be bitter depending on hops and the other ingredients you used. Let it ferment/carbonate/age, and then decide whether you like it or not. Maybe your friends will start to get used to beers with more bitterness!

Second: The taste of the wort just prior to pitching had a great very sweet malt flavor. Along with that was a pretty bitter taste similar to a tea that has been steeped for a overly long time. Is this something that will mellow out during fermentation and what exactly were we tasting?

View attachment 33354

I just brewed this kit today and your description of the pre fermentation taste is exactly what I tasted. Very sweet malt flavor followed by an over powering "tannin like" astringency. I'm not sure if this is from steeping the specialty grains or if this would be from the US Goldings, Liberty and Willamette hops. Anyone else notice this with this kit?

Quick note: after fermenting for 20 days I tested the FG whcih wound up 1.021. Of course we tried it and the taste was fantastic. I am looking forward to bottling and once conditioned I think it will be a great beer.

Congrats! My first brew and first wine are both in the primary. I am doing it in a dark hall in the house at a constant 74 degrees. Hope it comes out ok?

IMG_2631z.jpg

A steep temp of 168F is a little high,imo. My wife steeped for 20 minutes @ 160F & it worked well. Might take it down to 153-155F next time for 30 minutes to see if that improves aroma/flavor/color any.

Okay, after two weeks in the bottle. (I know it is young...) There is a slick feeling on the tongue that persists well after the swallow. I don't perceive any off flavors just this texture. Any guidance?

Okay, after two weeks in the bottle. (I know it is young...) There is a slick feeling on the tongue that persists well after the swallow. I don't perceive any off flavors just this texture. Any guidance?

Sure. Let it have another 2 to 4 weeks and try it again.

I didn't taste anything that would be considered buttery, however the texture was oily and it persisted until I drank some water.

Back