XL Ferm Chamber Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxkling

Reaction score
Well I'm still new to this forum and new to brewing but I had a good bit of stuff laying around and started to throw one together.

I started with an 8000btu window unit that was just laying around in the garage. I stripped the control board off the unit and wired the run cap straight to the Compressor and Blower/Fan. I'm still messing around with different control setups to figure out how I want to go by controlling the unit.

DSC00146.jpg

DSC00147.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

DSC00162.jpg

DSC00165.jpg

DSC00166.jpg

DSC00167.jpg

DSC00171.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

DSC00173.jpg

Added some casters so it can be easily moved around since the thing is so freaking heavy.

I just have to finish insulating and figure out a door setup and add a shelf and it will be good to go.

The foil side of the insulation should face to the outside for optimum performance. Be sure to seal it up well to minimize condensation problems. Otherwise, it looks like a very good start. Getting the door to seal well might be the biggest challenge. Do you have a way to ventilate the garage area? It might get pretty hot in there in the summer being that you are in Georgia.

I have a similar setup with a 6'X6'X4' box & a 5250 BTU AC unit. It'll get down to 32F in no time. An 8000 BTU unit will be FAST! I didn't insulate it all that much (2 layers of 1" foil) since it's a permanent fixture in a basement room that stays fairly cool to begin with. Cheers!!!

Yea the garage gets very hot in the summer. There really is no way but to leave the door up a bit. There are no windows or anything so it sucks...

i would love to see this thing in action. assuming it works well i might do the same and jump on the conical boat.

Not too sure on the R value. As long as it holds temperature and works I don't care. You can always add more insulation or different types. Its going to be pretty much a test and tune kinda thing.

I still need a time delay relay for the HERM on the ac unit in case the temp controller wants to cycle back on with in 1min 30sec of shut off causing an overload condition because the highside and lowside haven't equaled out.

I still need to build a temp controller and the door. I think I'm just going to use some kinda weather stripping, maybe even just automotive door stripping. I plan to have it sealed up pretty tight, I want to avoid having it cycle a bunch during the summer time. I have just a small 1500watt fan heater for the winter. But even at this point there are times my garage still gets a little warm for my taste. So maybe by the time I finish building it I wont need to use the AC till next March/April (and through that delay get a dorm fridge and dissect it perhaps).

But at this point in time with the money Ive spent on this damn thing, I could have bought a fridge or two off craigslist.... but that wouldn't be fun. Plus Ive got all kinda projects Id like to do before my next batch anyways.

I still need to bottle my Oktoberfest style ale, which has been just sitting in the secondary for some time and I'm just procrastinating.

So I got a sweet deal on a temp controller from my LHBS and did a test with my space heater.

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00175.jpg

Back