Wyermann smoked malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuinrearview

Reaction score
So, I got down to Bell's today to pick up some ingrediants for a smoked stout. I'm currently brewing with extract, so I wanted some peated malt since the mini-mash won't allow for a lot of smoked malt. They didn't have any, but the guy working there(their employees are pretty much all brewers in the store) figured that the smoked malt would work. So, my question(s) is: Has anyone used Wyermann smoked malt and will one lb. impart some smoke flavor on a smoked stout? I have another store 45 minutes away that I can visit if I need to. I'm having a party down the road and a smoked stout was requested.

I've had two (commercial) beers with Weyermann rauchmalt:
Southern Star Rauchbier, 100% rauchmalt. Sausage beer, delicious. Only Schlenkerla is porkier.
Sonoma Springs Alt, 10% rauchmalt. So subtle. I asked the brewer if it had Carafa, said no it's colored with chocolate wheat but has 10% Weyermann rauch. Took another sip and barely could pick it up.

In a stout, I'd think 1lb in 5gal would be tough to pick up.

Thank you, that's kind of what I figured. You'd think that the folks selling brewing supplies at Bell's would be a little more plugged in to the brewery.

My experience with Rauchmalz, is you need lots of it, unless it is Peated Malt, then you only need 3-4% of the grain bill.

Peated malt (smokey, Scotch Isley malt) is very strong, so be careful.

It's not as much about poundage as it is percent of the grain bill. I've read that 20% and up gives a detectable flavor. I used about 18% in my smoked porter and probably only taste it because I know it is there; I will know for sure once it done carbing. I did not use two row in my partial mash, which I heard helps convert it. Don't make my mistakes, use about 25% and mini-mash with some two row.

I'm kinda in the same boat and am planning a smoked baltic porter. From what I've seen, the most successful recipes replace about 50% of the base malt with smoked malt. Also, I found that, as mentioned earlier, use smoked malt for at least 25% of your malt bill if you want that flavor to be noticed. Any less and you will have a "hint" of smokiness.

+1 EdWort - peat smoked malt is very strong and much more than a couple of ounces in a 5 gallon batch can take over. I'd avoid it.

In my experience, you need at least 40-50% smoked malt for a noticeable smoke flavor in the beer. You can smoke your own malt at home - you might get more smoke flavor with less malt with an intensive smoking process on a couple pounds of malt.

Latest posts

Back