Wyeast yeast nutrient questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
decided to start using this stuff. the instructions say to dissolve 1/2 tsp in warm water. whats the point if its going into the boil? doesnt say how much water either or what temp? i put the 1/2 tsp into about 2oz of warm water and stirred it up. anyone notice this stuff smells like flintstones chewable vitamins? not the most attractive smell i wanted to toss in my kettle. anyone get any kind of off-flavor using this stuff?

I dunno about Wyeast's particular brand. I use generic diammonium phosphate (DAP), and toss a tsp in toward the end of the boil. I wouldn't eat the stuff, but I figure it will all be gone, eaten by yeasties and settled in the trub when it comes time to rack to the bottling bucket.

No worries!

i always throw in at the end of boil with the irish moss. no clue if it does any good, but i dunno if does any harm either. i sure do not taste flintstones in my beer, but i agree it smells funny.

i also always use it in my yeast starters.

Back