Wyeast vs dry yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxiosis

Reaction score
Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had a preference toward wyeast or dry yeast, and in particular, why?

I'm a first time brewer, and all of the options are a bit overwhelming.

Thanks guys!

I just like the satisfaction of slapping the wyeast pack and watching it blow up.

Whereas I like to ensure that when I inoculate, I like that I will always have enough yeast cells for batches up to 5 gallons, which I do with dry yeasts.Not so with liquid yeasts where starters have to be made.

Oh and I don't like paying about 6 times the price.

The best wine strains are available as dry so I'll go with that.

It depends on the style. Some styles need the flavor of the yeast, so you should pick the best choice in that regard.

I usually get by with us-05 (dry) for most beers. For stout or Irish red, I spring for liquid (white labs 004) because I think it adds to the finished product.

I have not had good luck with WB-06 (dry), so I will probably use liquid when I do a wheat beer next.

But us-05 and s-04 usually work fit what I make.

Just realized this is the mead forum. Ignore me!

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had a preference toward wyeast or dry yeast, and in particular, why?

I'm a first time brewer, and all of the options are a bit overwhelming.

Thanks guys!

Whew. That's a loaded question. Really, it just depends on your goals.

Do you want the mead to be like a neutral white wine? D21, DV10, EC1118

Do you want an estery mead? KIV-1116 is a good way to go.

Do you want fast mead? Wyeast 1388 like in the BOMM. FB is correct that you will need a starter for a 5 gallon batch however.

Are you making fruit based mead?
71B and RC212

Think of yeast as tools. Different tools do a different job. Wouldn't use a screwdriver on a nail, right?

Better brewing through science!

Whew. That's a loaded question. Really, it just depends on your goals.

Do you want the mead to be like a neutral white wine? D21, DV10, EC1118

Do you want an estery mead? KIV-1116 is a good way to go.

Do you want fast mead? Wyeast 1388 like in the BOMM. FB is correct that you will need a starter for a 5 gallon batch however.

Are you making fruit based mead?
71B and RC212

Think of yeast as tools. Different tools do a different job. Wouldn't use a screwdriver on a nail, right?

Better brewing through science!

That's a very informative post. I'm gonna go ahead and write that down lol. I'm Afraid I may have botched my first batch. As I said, I'm a first time brewer, armed only with a very basic knowledge of brewing. I used wyeast in my first batch, but I surely didn't make a starter, considering I never heard of the term until I read these posts.

Anyways, I'm reading through the compleat meadmaker, but if anyone has any advice on mistakes that novice brewers often make, I'd love to learn more.

Thanks guys!

Back