Wyeast strains worth buying over White Labs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamWiz

Reaction score
Hello all,
My LHBS only sells White Labs yeast, and since I am hesitant to have liquid yeast shipped I have used WL exclusively. But today or tomorrow, I am going to be in Grand Rapids, and plan on visiting a new brew supply shop there that sells Wyeast. I was wondering if there are any particular strains I should pick up that are really outstanding or that have no WL equivalent. I am into all different types of beer, especially Belgians. One that I really want to try is 3711(French saison) since I have heard of a lot of good results. I also want to get some Roselare. Anything else come to mind that I should pick up while I'm there? Not necessarily just Belgian stuff, but anything that you have been really impressed with.

Get some Pacman if they have any left, I have used this many times and really like it. I also like 1968 London ESB and prefer it over other English strains I have used from WL.

I like the 2206 Bavarian German Lager. It makes a great Bock. I also like the 1214 Abbey Ale. Ferments like a champ. Just aereate the crap out of the wort before pitching. If your going for an American Ale I personaly like the 1272 over the 1056. I have not used WL before, I only use Wyeast so I dont know how to compare the two. Also I would try to get your hands on any limited editions.

Definitely pick up some 3711. That yeast is a beast and makes a really good Saison.

If you like Belgian beers then look at 3522,1214 and 3787. All make good Belgian beers.

I also like 3944 for wheat beers.

I like 3725 and 3726 too (Biere De Garde and Farmhouse Ale), in addition to 1338 and 2124. 3463 isn't bad either.

I use 1968 ( London ESB Ale) and 1450 (Denny's Favorite 50) for everything lately. You can't go wrong with 3711 or Pacman either. The only White Labs strain I use consistently is WLP 029 German Ale/ Kölsch.

I just used WY1882 recently in an ESB. The batch had a few problems, and is far from perfect, but the yeast character is actually quite nice. It's mildly fruity, with some spicy and mineral overtones that are really tasty. It's worth a try if you like English ales. If there's a WL equivalent, I don't know what it is. Get it now, though, as it's a seasonal strain available only through June.

I also like 1968 London ESB and prefer it over other English strains I have used from WL.

I LOVE that yeast, it drops out of suspension after fermentation like pea gravel, amazing stuff!!

I like the 2206 Bavarian German Lager. It makes a great Bock.

This is my go to German Lager yeast, it has a nice profile, I use it in my Biertent lager exclusively.

Definitely pick up some 3711. That yeast is a beast and makes a really good Saison.

I just brewed a 'Leftovers' Saison with misc grains I had in the brew closet, the yeast can ferment out an old gym sock, I went from 1.068 to 1.002 in 10 days!! I was quite impressed with the taste of the hydro sample tonight while racking to a keg.

I use 1968 ( London ESB Ale) and 1450 (Denny's Favorite 50) for everything lately. You can't go wrong with 3711 or Pacman either.

That sums up what I stated above, I use Denny's in my "Rye of the Storm" Smoked RyePA, such an incredible depth from the yeast contribution to the beer...

I have tried Pacman twice and was not disappointed, I may make it the default yeast for my house APA.

I guess I like Wyeast, athough I do use white labs on occasion. My LHBS carries Wyeast exclusively so that tends to be my default.

Back