Wyeast propogator with LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkeb74

Reaction score
For starter the directions on the package say to mix the Propagator with 2cups DME to 2ltr of water.

The kit I bought came with LME, just wondering if I should use the same ration or less/more than directions call for.

You'll need probably 20% more LME than DME when going by weight, but I'm not sure how that translates to volume. Do you have a hydrometer? You want your starter wort to be about 1.030 - 1.040.

But, that said, why are you using LME from your recipe? That's not the convention.

You can use LME with no problem, there is no reason some of us use DME except that it is easy. My local LHBS sells small tubs of LME for starters, can't remember how much exactly, but a hydrometer will show you when you have added enough for 1.030-40.

Did the kit come with extra extract for the starter? If it didn't your probably better off not using a starter if means you have to steal extract from the kit.

Back