Wyeast London Ale III - stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 225792

Twisted Mustache Brewing
Reaction score
I brewed a New England IPA, OG of 1.064. I made a starter with 2 packs of this yeast (1600ml), and pitched around 65 degrees F. It is still in primary, and after 2.5 weeks it is still at 1.022 (OG of 16 brix, now at 9.8). There is still kreusen on the top. Been fermenting around 66-67 degrees. Is this normal for this yeast? What should I expect in amount of time for full attenuation? I still need to dry hop. Please advise. Thanks much!

I love this yeast and have found it to be voracious at quickly attenuating. I usually bump temps to 72* after a three day ferment to encourage it to finish up. I'm currently on Generation 10 of overbuilding and harvesting with this yeast

Are you measuring gravity with a refractometer? If so, you need to use a correction tool to determine gravity after fermentation, with the presence of alcohol.

With 1318 The krausen tends to stick around even after it's done. I've had it finish at 1.018 with similar og, so depending on malt bill and mash temp it could be done.

To answer an item... I use a refractometer calculator to correct for the alcohol. 10 days ago, I adjusted the temp of the fermentation chamber to be at 71 degrees F, and the gravity dropped a little, then gently stirred the yeast 3 days ago. The temp adjustment lowered the gravity a bit, and the stirring did too, but not much. Still stuck at 9.2 Brix (1.019). Not sure what to do - should I pitch some more of the same yeast from a starter? It did not go over 150 degrees F in the mash either. Please advise. Thanks!

Turn up the heat, get the carboy up to 70-72 and it'll finish out. I've used this yeast with great success for 10+ beers this year and it does the same thing for me every time. It'll fizzle out and creep along until I raise the temp after a week of fermentation.

It always stalls at 1.02 for me , warm it and rouse it

Thanks for all the advice. I raised the temp to 74, and the gravity dropped a little more, and according to Denny, it's done. I tasted it and it was not sweet, so I racked and am now dry hopping. We shall see. Thanks, again all!

I made a NEIPA (mashed at 148) and pitched this yeast after making a starter. The beer fermented at 68-F and then stalled at 1.030. I shook the fermenter and bumped up the temp to 71 and off it went until it stalled again at 1.019 and was there for many days. I thought it was done, albeit higher than I'd like, so I did my normal diacetyl rest by bumping the temp up a few degrees (now 73-74).

Low and behold it took off again and I'm now sitting at 1.015.

@day_trippr Thanks! I am 1.5 weeks in. I've taken hydrometer readings because at first I wasn't sure if I trusted the TILT readings, but they were both spot on.

For the OP, were you keeping the beer at 66-67F for the fermentation time? If so, that's at the very low end of it's temperature range (64-74F). I've not had any issues fermenting with it when allowing it to go into the middle of the range (or a little warmer).

Did you infuse the wort with pure O2 or do the 'shake' method to oxygenate? Did you add any yeast nutrient to the boil? I do both for all my batches and have not had the trouble you did.

Back