Wyeast... how to add.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumpbrew

Reaction score
I am brewing a batch of Caribou Slobber, usin liquid Wyeast... When I add the yeast, do I dump it and stir or dump it in and leave it?

When you aerate it will mix (shake your carboy to add o2). I usually add my yeast and then pour my wert through a strainer/funnel. This both mixes and aerates.

Oxygenate, add yeast then stir or shake just enough to blend.

Straining after you've added yeast? Just doesn't seem logical.

I believe that it is best to aerate prior to adding the yeast. I don't think it will ruin a batch or anything, but yeast are better off not being battered around. You don't have to help your yeast by mixing it in. It does a fine job of that all by itself.

Thanks for the info, this is my second brew. My first brew I didn't get the FG that I was looking for, thought it might have been something to do with the yeast and fermentation. Look for Gump Brew coming to your store soon... Lol, thanks again.

I believe that it is best to aerate prior to adding the yeast. I don't think it will ruin a batch or anything, but yeast are better off not being battered around. You don't have to help your yeast by mixing it in. It does a fine job of that all by itself.

^this^

Someone said something about straining, my first brew, I dumped the whole kettle into the fermentor, is that a bad practice? Dump it all? Strain it? Or, leave some sludge in the kettle?

Personal preference really. My first batch I dumped it all in and just sprinkled dry yeast on top and mixed.

Now I pretty much only use liquid yeast and I strain my wort into the fermenter as i find I have an easier time racking off less crap when it's time to secondary or keg. It also aerates the wort better too.

Heck I've even been so deep into some brews that when I pitched, I forgot to even stir it in and just left it. Worked out fine.

Back