Wyeast British Ale II - incomplete fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hightechlofi

Reaction score
Brewed 10 gallons of an old ale OG 1.073. I then split the batch into two cornies and pitched one with British Ale II, and the other with Scottish Ale (both wyeast). I am pressure fermenting both. I pitched last Thursday (a week ago) and measured the gravities this morning. The Scottish ale is down to 1.017, but the British ale II is only at 1.048. Do I just need to give it more time, or could this have been a bad pack? I activated it, and while the smack pack fully inflated, it did not seem to be near as firm as other smack packs (it felt less pressurized). I know I should have done a starter, but ran out of time. And as the two cornies are from a split batch of the same wort, I don't think that is the issue. Any ideas, recommendations? Should I buy another pack of it and repitch?

Make sure that the yeast is not all floating in the krausen. I have found that yeast to be very flocculant and require periodic rocking of the carboy to keep it in suspension. Shake it up and warm to 68 or so.

That is a great idea, I have not tried shaking it yet. I am in Texas, so the fermentation is already on the warmish side, 71-73f. Thanks!

So after shaking it a few times to get the yeast back into suspension, I am still only at 1.041 tonight. So, improved, but not a whole lot of activity. What do you think, give it more time or get another smack pack?

when you say pressure fermentation what pressure and how do you draw your samples? just curious.

I started at about 5psi for the first few days, then let it build up to 10psi, then stepped up to 25psi after about 5 days. To grab a sample, all I do is hook up a picnic tap to the out port of the cornie. The dip tubes are cut about 3/4" so I don't get too much trub.

Back