Wyeast Activator vs. Propagator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waunabeer

Reaction score
Up to this point I have only used the Wyeast Activator smack pack style yeast which contains 100 billion cells. I know have a package of the Propagator, which contains 25 billion cells, but how many cells are produced when fermented with DME and stirred properly (ballpark estimate)? I doesn't state a # anywhere.

They state that the Activator should be used for gravity beers up to 1.060, but what about the Propagator? If I am going to make a beer with a gravity of 1.072; should I:

a.) Make my own starter with the Propagator and get x amount of yeast cells
b.) Just smack the Propagator packet (25 billion cells) + add a smack pack of Activator (100 billion cells) for my 5 gal. batch?

I'm making a stout and don't want to blow it. Thanks.

LHBS tells me he sells the propagator and guys just pitch that...... Says his customers are "price conscious ". I guess they don't read the label. Strange thing is I had him order me some White Labs once and the vial was the same price as the propagator....

A simple rule of thumb is that each 1 liter starter will Double your cell count. So, if you use a Propagor and a 2 liter starter your going to have the same as an activator package. The health and age of the yeast also make a big difference. Example: a propagator and a 1 liter starter, after 3-4 days, will take off quickly and not produce of flavors even in your big beer.

A simple rule of thumb is that each 1 liter starter will Double your cell count. So, if you use a Propagor and a 2 liter starter your going to have the same as an activator package. The health and age of the yeast also make a big difference. Example: a propagator and a 1 liter starter, after 3-4 days, will take off quickly and not produce of flavors even in your big beer.

So you are saying that 2L of propagator starter will = 1 Activator pkg, but is probably healthier yeast and will produce less off flavors?

Mr Malty is telling me 1 pack with a starter. Does that mean I make a starter with my Propagator (using a stir plate) and make 1.3L to pitch in the beer and also add 1 smack pack of Activator?

Back