Wyeast 3787/pater's biere

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowthere

Reaction score
I brewed the AG version of NB's pater's biere last Saturday. Everyday I came home from work it's spilled all over the damn place. I used fermcap in the boil and double the dosage in the fermenter. It doesn't slow the krausen down one bit. The OG was 1051, a little high. I made a 1 liter starter on a stir plate, which was very, very active after 24 hours. It is set to ferment at 69 degrees, but the fermentation is to active and hot it almost always is at 71, while my freezer is running a lot to fight the temp.

I knew it would fight the headspace in the Better Bottle, but I did not realize what I was in store for. It's more than just foam spilling over, it's really thick, really dense clumps of yeast (not foamy at all) shooting all over my freezer, and of course running down my carboy. This stuff feels like play dough, literally. I've never seen yeast like this.

I'm not really asking for help or anything, I can clean and replace the aluminum foil repeatedly. I suppose I should go get a blow off tube. I'm just sharing my experience with this crazy yeast. It smells awesome though.

Ya I had 3787 go nuts on a Rochefort 8 clone (1.078). It had about 3 days of nearly constant blowoff from 5.5 gallons in 6.5 gallon bucket. I had a suspicion such a high gravity beer would blowoff, so luckily I had a blowoff tube installed.

Yellowthere,
Can you let us know how your patersbier turned out? Thanks!

Yellowthere,
Can you let us know how your patersbier turned out? Thanks!

Sure, It's pretty damn good. It actually has a little of that Belgian candy taste to it even though I didn't add any. Mine ended up around 5%. I carbed it to around 3-3.5. It's a great easy drinker, but there are plenty of yeast characteristics as well. I LOVE the simplicity of the recipe.

I'm probably not the best at describing this stuff though, It's a good solid though. My chest freezer died on this ferment, so I got into the mid 70s, which blew. Even with that happening, I can't really tell though.

3787 likes it hot. It probably benefitted you flavor to have that rise in temps.

Sure, It's pretty damn good. It actually has a little of that Belgian candy taste to it even though I didn't add any. Mine ended up around 5%. I carbed it to around 3-3.5. It's a great easy drinker, but there are plenty of yeast characteristics as well. I LOVE the simplicity of the recipe.

I'm probably not the best at describing this stuff though, It's a good solid though. My chest freezer died on this ferment, so I got into the mid 70s, which blew. Even with that happening, I can't really tell though.

Latest posts

Back