Wyeast 3638

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint04

Reaction score
I'm going to make a starter tonight for a Hefe I plan on brewing this Sunday. I just got a stir plate, and I'm anxious to try it out. On top of this, I am also excited to try out 3638, since it seems like this gets no love due to the popularity of 3068.

On the Wyeast site, it says "Over pitching can result in a near complete loss of banana character. Decreasing the ester level will allow a higher clove character to be perceived." MrMalty is saying that I should make a 1L starter on the stir plate.

My question is, should I maybe do a 800ml starter for this to slightly underpitch? I don't want a banana bomb, but I do want a touch of that charater (I also plan on trying to ferment in the low-mid 60s).

Also, if anyone out there has used 3638, what did you think of it?

I've used that strain a number of years ago and liked the results. I ferment a bit cooler, say around mid to low 60's, like you are planning on, so I compensate for that by pitching a bit more yeast. I'd go with what Mr Malty says.

I prefer it to 3068 honestly. I haven't used it in a while (been about a year), but IIRC I made a very small starter, and fermentation around 65. I thought the clove/banana balance was spot on. I plan using it again in my dunkelweizen once I have the chance to swing by the LHBS and pick up ingredients.

i just had 3 bottles of hefe brewed with 3068 and i have to say im not crazy about this beer, mine is tart and has little flavor (i dont pick up much banana or cloves), its rather watery. I pitched 3L starter for 10gal, fermented at 64-66 first 3 days then finished at 68-70

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I am pretty excited to see what this strain does now.

I heard a rumor that 3638 is the strain used by Schneider, but I'm not sure if that's true. I hope it is, because Schneider Weisse and Aventinus are my favorite wheat beers of all time.

Latest posts

Back