Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper2hopper

Reaction score
So I did a 6 gallon Hefeweizen batch tonight (OG 1.051) and decided to split it into two different 5.5 gallon glass fermenters. Anyone have experience with doing something similar with this yeast and say this is a good idea? From what I've researched I think it is and should have no bad side effects. I also under pitched quite a bit on purpose which I think is also a good thing for this beer and strain to produce a more banana flavored Hefeweizen. I'm also fermenting at 62 degrees. Just looking for some reassurance I guess. Thanks.

I've got a batch with this yeast in a bucket right now, 5 gal. in a 6.5 gal. bucket. I thought it was going to blow the lid off a couple days ago. Had to swap out the airlock for a blowoff and clean up a small mess. I've tried to hold it at about 64 degrees for the clove flavor over the banana flavor. Sounds like you should have enough head space by splitting the batch as far as flavor I can't help since I haven't used this yeast in several years.

I , too, have 10 gal going currently. The rule of thumb for fermentation temp and flavor is the lower the temp, the more clove comes through. Higher temp, more banana. I made my starters a little weak to underpitch as well... I have found that, underpitching some, and fermenting around 65F gives me a great banana flavor with some clove still present. A buddy of mine loves when I brew this beer and cant get enough.

I've done two hefe's with 3068 now, both 5.5 gal in a 6.5 gal carboy, with a similar method to you (underpitch with a single packet). I fermented both in the high 60's and there was a huge amount of blow off, to the point where I had to put the sanitizer jar in another large bowl to keep it from making a mess. So as far as splitting it between carboy's I think you're good to go.

I would recommend bumping the temp up if you want more banana though. 68 is about perfect.

Back