Wyeast 3068 Is A Beast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Just made a 1 liter starter with Wyeast 3068 last night and checked on it this morning and wow that thing view crazy. Normally like most people have said they normally don't see a krausen on their starters which is normal. On this thing the krausen was about 6 inches and was nearing the top of my 1/2 gallon growler. This will be definitely be the first time I use a blow off when this yeast gets into the fermenter.

I just made a 5 gallon batch of 1.045 weizen in a 13 gallon carboy with that yeast and it blew off. Just a little, but I was in awe.

poley said:
I just made a 5 gallon batch of 1.045 weizen in a 13 gallon carboy with that yeast and it blew off. Just a little, but I was in awe.

Did you use a blow off?

Did you use a blow off?

No blowoff, I have a 13 gal nalgene carboy with a screw cap. I had the cap loose on so that it can vent, but it keeps anything from getting in there. The foam came up and touched the inside of the cap, and pushed a little mess out through the threading. Non-violent, but it was still impressive that it filled 8 gallons of space with foam. It dropped within hours, and is now happily occupying 7 gallons of space with beer and krausen.

If I put it in my 6.5 gal carboy, you bet I'd put a blowoff on it.

Well I will be putting mine in a 6.5 bucket and using Revy's idea for a blow off tube rigged to my airlock. Hopefully I don't blow the lid off. It will be in our stand up shower in the basement so it won't make a huge mess but still don't want to lose any beer.

Well I will be putting mine in a 6.5 bucket and using Revy's idea for a blow off tube rigged to my airlock. Hopefully I don't blow the lid off. It will be in our stand up shower in the basement so it won't make a huge mess but still don't want to lose any beer.

Whenever you have blowoff, you lose some beer. Hopefully not much, but the more you can do to prevent it, the better.

Well came home tonight after work and sure enough the starter had overflowed over the top of my growler. Didn't blow the foil off or anything just ran down the side. This yeast is insane. Loving the smell. Hoping the krausen falls back down before tomorrow so I can crash it in the fridge before brew day on Saturday.

Having good yeast blow out of a starter breaks my heart. I always just stand there cleaning up the top of my wife's fridge (hopefully before she gets out of bed) and think: "Damnit, here I am trying to get my yeast count up, and half of it just scmutzed itself out of the bottle". Just feels like a half step backward.

Yeah I wasn't too upset about losing some out of the top as I was making a 1 liter starter I figured I would still have enough. Well I popped it into the fridge last night to cold crash as I was going to brew today (didn't get around to it but will tomorrow) and I don't have as large of a yeast layer on the bottom that I have hoped for. Oh well, nothing I can really do about it now. I still think I will have enough active yeast to get things going. Especially how great this yeast is.

Back