Wyeast 3068 Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterBrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing a hefeweizen with Wyeast 3068. I brewed it Saturday, the OG was 1.049, I didn't make a starter, I pitched at about 2 pm into around 68 degree wort and left it in my room which was also at around 68 degrees. I left for a while and came back around 10 pm and the airlock was going nuts. I moved it to my basement which is between 62 and 64 because I wanted ferment on the low end of the temperature range. After about 24 hours their was krausen in the airlock and I switched to a blow off tube. Tuesday afternoon, so about 3 days after pitching, I opened the fermenter, noticed the krausen had lowered back down, and the blowoff tube wasn't active, took a hydrometer reading which was 1.024 and switched back to an airlock. There was still a healthy looking krausen but it wasn't at level that I thought I would need the blowoff tube anymore. There has been no activity in the airlock since.

So two questions:
1. Is it bad that it only got down to 1.024 during the most vigorous portion of fermentation, and is it possible that fermentation has stalled?
2. If I move the fermenter back upstairs (around 68 degrees) will this still greatly affect the flavor. I understand that with Wyeast 3068 closer to 64 gives more clove flavor and closer to 72 gives more of a bannana flavor?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help!

I would say your flavor profile is probably pretty much set, I wouldn't hesitate to move it upstairs.

Then again, you could always give it a little more time where its at. It should finish up just fine. I have 20 gallons of that going now, around 65 deg. That yeast is a beast.

So I took another reading and it hasn't moved. Should I be worried and trying to find a way to get it going again? Still has a krausen and the samples taste good.

It's only Wednesday, and you brewed Saturday? Don't worry about it. If you find peace of mind necessary, go ahead and move it upstairs.

The krausen probably won't drop for a couple more days at that temp. Yeast is still working, so no need to get it going again. It already is going. Just give it some time, it takes a little longer on the cool side.

I ferment my hefeweizens for 10-14 days without taking any samples at all. I take gravity reading after that amount of time and bottle. Never been let down.

Trust your yeast, and give them time.

Latest posts

Back