Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager - Slow Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Updating: This morning the dopplebock start to show bubbles. I just move the fermenter to my controlled temp environment at 53°F.
Do you think I should go lower?

Regards

McboBrewer said:
Updating: This morning the dopplebock start to show bubbles. I just move the fermenter to my controlled temp environment at 53°F.
Do you think I should go lower?

Regards

Yes. I would set the ambient temp to 48

Put it in the upper 40s, but pull it out of the cold and bring up to about 65 about 3/4 of the way through the ferment. For a doppelbock, this might be around 1.025. Let it go up to another week at this temperature, or until the ferment is complete AND you can't taste diacetyl. I used this yeast and gave it a 3 day rest at the end of the ferment and that was not enough to get rid of it all. You need to start warming this up while the yeast is still active and give it a thorough diacetyl rest with this yeast. Then start your lagering.

thewalkingboss said:
Put it in the upper 40s, but pull it out of the cold and bring up to about 65 about 3/4 of the way through the ferment. For a doppelbock, this might be around 1.025. Let it go up to another week at this temperature, or until the ferment is complete AND you can't taste diacetyl. I used this yeast and gave it a 3 day rest at the end of the ferment and that was not enough to get rid of it all. You need to start warming this up while the yeast is still active and give it a thorough diacetyl rest with this yeast. Then start your lagering.

Thanks a lot boss, I'm a newbie, this is my 3rd batch of all grain and all the information I get is very positive.
Fermentation today (4 days before pitching) looks very nice, about 2 bubbles per second @ 9°C, I suppose it will take at least 2 week to get to 1.025.
My actual concern is about the 3-4 inches of sediments that are in the bottom of the carboy.

regards
FF

Hi everyone, just giving an update about my dopplebock. 2 days ago (15 days before fermentation strated) I transfered to 2dary, the kreusen was all settle at the bottom in a very compact way, the beer was very clear, I got 1.022 FG. I will lager for at least 4 week @ 46°F.
What do you think???

Regards

Just thought I would throw this in the thread for anyone who might be interested.

Beer is a Double decocted Oktoberfest
OG = 1.064
Made a 2L yeast starter with 1.045 runnings from my mash tun. Let it go 24 hours at 65F before dumping it into my Wort.

bavar.jpg

Gave this yeast another crack. I made a 3 liter starter and pitched at 55 degrees. It started bubbling the airlock in ~8hrs so I stuck it in the ferm chamber. 12 hours from pitch and this is how she looks-->

Not too shabby!!

I tapped my Maibock last night. It is absolutely FANTASTIC!! Maybe my best to date. Thanks for weighing in all.

This is in reference to my first post in this thread. The one above me will not be done until Oktoberfest!!:mug:

Prost

Grain to glass in 3 weeks for a Maibock? Wow.

Not planning on lagering it?

Grain to glass in 3 weeks for a Maibock? Wow.

Not planning on lagering it?

LOL....No, I posted this to the wrong thread. The beer you see a few posts back is a Trad Bock and it is actually still in PRIMARY :eek:. That was my second round with 2206.

The Maibock was my first time using 2206 and my first lager. I brewed it April 1st and it's been lagering for a couple of loooong months now. I started this thread when I was freaking out about it the first time and continued on with this thread later.

I must've had a couple too many Maibocks last night:drunk:
:mug:

Using this yeast for the first time this weekend in an Oktoberfest. Made about a 5 litre starter that seemed to ferment out very vigorously. Doing a split batch; the other half will use 2308 which has the biggest krausen I've ever seen on a starter. Guess it's probably just because it's near the top of my 6L flask. Still, really going hard!

GrizBrew said:
LOL....No, I posted this to the wrong thread. The beer you see a few posts back is a Trad Bock and it is actually still in PRIMARY :eek:. That was my second round with 2206.

The Maibock was my first time using 2206 and my first lager. I brewed it April 1st and it's been lagering for a couple of loooong months now. I started this thread when I was freaking out about it the first time and continued on with this thread later.

I must've had a couple too many Maibocks last night:drunk:
:mug:

Hi, I'm very very new in the world of brewing, I just made my 4th batch of beer last month. I wonder, where should I lager? In the 2ndary fermenter just dropping the temperature and let it sit for 2 month? Using a 3rd fermenter for this purpose? Or, can the lagering be done in the keg, pressurized, and very cold?

Hi, I'm very very new in the world of brewing, I just made my 4th batch of beer last month. I wonder, where should I lager? In the 2ndary fermenter just dropping the temperature and let it sit for 2 month? Using a 3rd fermenter for this purpose? Or, can the lagering be done in the keg, pressurized, and very cold?

You can lager in either your secondary or a keg. I've heard of people doing it in the primary, but never tried it myself.

There's definitely different opinions about this. What I did was racked into a corney after primary was done. I then just let it sit for a couple of months and tapped it. The first half pint or so was mucky but it ran clear after that.

My corney has an airlock but I doubt that is necessary really, not too much CO2 is being produced in secondary. If it is produced, then you'll probably just get some free carbonation.

I have read that lagering under pressure is no problem either, but again, there are probably many opinions;)

The 2206 I used in my Oktoberfest got the beer down to about 1.016; repitched into a doppelbock on Monday and no sign of action as of this morning--mind you the wort is very cool; pitched at 47 or so. Half the doppelbock got S-189 slurry repitched from a Helles; it took off very quickly (both batches had 120 seconds pure O2 through 0.5 micron stone on day 1 and day 2) and is going absolutely gangbusters--huge krausen for a lager, especially at that temperature.

I hit the 2206 batch with another 90 seconds of O2. Given what's been posted earlier in this thread, I expect it to take off today anyway.

May be committing brewicide, but didn't realize the date on the Wyeast 2206 was over 6 months old when I bought it (my bad). It's a hassle to bring it back to the LHBS. I'll be making a 2L starter a few days before brew day and then will cold crash and decant before pitching. It will be interesting to see the results.

May be committing brewicide, but didn't realize the date on the Wyeast 2206 was over 6 months old when I bought it (my bad). It's a hassle to bring it back to the LHBS. I'll be making a 2L starter a few days before brew day and then will cold crash and decant before pitching. It will be interesting to see the results.

Do yourself a favor and get more yeast. A 2L starter of 6+ month old yeast is a pitifully low cell count for a lager (< 20% of the optimal pitch rate for a standard 1.048 beer).

Why take the time to create a recipe, buy the ingredients, brew the beer, clean everything up, then cross your fingers and hope for the best when you are clearly dangerously low on yeast? Doesn't make any sense.

Do yourself a favor and get more yeast. A 2L starter of 6+ month old yeast is a pitifully low cell count for a lager (< 20% of the optimal pitch rate for a standard 1.048 beer).

Why take the time to create a recipe, buy the ingredients, brew the beer, clean everything up, then cross your fingers and hope for the best when you are clearly dangerously low on yeast? Doesn't make any sense.

You're right, it didn't make any sense!

After additional research, I've contacted the LHBS and they will replace the yeast pack with one that was manufactured in November. Still planing to go ahead and make a 2 step starter.

Thanks for helping me see the light.

I just brewed a bock this past Monday with 2206. Pitched at 48F and had very active fermentation within 24 hours. OG was 1076 and I pitched a 2 gallon starter. Hope that helps.

Back