Wyeast 2124 bohenian lager issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElPadrino86

Reaction score
Hi all
I brewed 2 batches on Monday. An ale and a lager. I had smack packs that I smacked and left in the same area in my kitchen, which was very hot that I didn't realize.
The smack pack didn't swell that much compared go the 3787 I was using for an ale.
It has been 36 hours after I pitched the yeast and have it in my basement (low 60s) and no krausen has started and there is a thick yeast cake at the bottom of the primary.

Do I re pitch with another smack pack, is this batch trash, or what other things can I do to activate this fermentation?

Thanks

(1) what does your hydrometer tell you is happening? It's the only way to tell for sure.

(2) you have likely underpitched. Lagers require a starter for liquid yeast, pretty much without exception. Use the pitching rate calculator at www.mrmalty.com in the future to help you get the proper amount of yeast pitched.

(3) as far as what to do...if you can get it, pick up a couple of packs of Saflager W-34/70 (which is the same yeast strain as 2124), rehydrate according to the product sheet instructions, and pitch the resulting slurry. You will be sure to have enough yeast that way and your fermentation should take off. You can even cool your batch down to around 50 if you like to get a bit cleaner taste.

Good luck!

I have used this strain in the past, and even @ room temp for a while the package never got it's swol' on.

osagedr is correct, you prob under pitched. Lagers are annoying as hell in this regard.

Thanks for the insight
I haven't made a yeast starter before nor have the equipment to do so.
It sounds like I should be good if I get another wyeast smack pack and pitch again that should resolve my issue.

Who said you should buy another smack pack and pitch again?

If you have a stove, a pot, and an empty 2 litre pop bottle you can make a starter.

Thanks for the info. I swirled it this morning pretty good. Just got home from work to see about an inch krausen with it steadily bubbling through the airlock.

Should I pitch more yeast now that it's going? I'm thinking no but let me know

Should I swirl the carboy some more even though it's steadily going?

I was going to say...if you have a "thick yeast cake" on the bottom, the yeast have to be reproducing.

Glad it's working out. If you feel like fermentation is taking off, there's no need to pitch any more yeast, especially with your temp in the low 60s.

Back