wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
I'm using 1968 for a zombie dust clone and have been reading a little about it and was looking for some tips on using it. It seems like An interesting strain. So I'm looking for a little help on the temps and anything else I should know about it.
Thanks

1968 is the same strain (Fuller's) as WLP002, which I use a lot. It's a very simple strain, actually. Pitch cool, I always shoot for 63F or so. If you keep it around 65F, you'll get a nice clean English character. The warmer it ferments (at least in those first few days), the more fruity/estery it will become. And if you tend to it well, you can get 75%+ attenuation. FYI- this is the main strain used by Lagunitas Brewing Company, one of my favorites.

Cheers!

1968 is the same strain (Fuller's) as WLP002, which I use a lot. It's a very simple strain, actually. Pitch cool, I always shoot for 63F or so. If you keep it around 65F, you'll get a nice clean English character. The warmer it ferments (at least in those first few days), the more fruity/estery it will become. And if you tend to it well, you can get 75%+ attenuation. FYI- this is the main strain used by Lagunitas Brewing Company, one of my favorites.

Cheers!

Agreed. I pitch at 63F and let fermentation take it to 66F, as the krausen begins to fall and fermentation slows down I typically raise to 68F and gently rouse the fermenter. This is my favorite yeast to use, I use it for everything I can justify using it in. It attenuates fast, cleans up after itself and drops clear quickly. If you want to attenuate 75-80% check out the CYBI podcasts with Firestone Walker and listen how they mash.

Back