Wyeast 1728 - Scottish Ale; Dead or just slow starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edgarmsmith

Reaction score
My LHBS does not carry Wyeast, and I have never used Wyeast. So, I thought I would give it a whirl. I have read differing opinions on whether there should be much concern with shipping liquid yeast during the summer. Some long timers on here indicated it isn't as big a deal as it used to be, so I thought it was worth a try. It took two days to receive my order of yeast, and the ice pack was melted when I got it. For what it's worth, I had a White Labs in the same shipment that took off on a starter earlier this week and was viable. I'm planning on doing a Christmas Ale on Sunday, so I started the Wyeast starter yesterday (Thursday). I have seen nothing in 18 hours. No signs of life at all, and I usually see something in my starters by now. I'm trying to be patient, and I have read that this yeast is slow. Does anyone have any experience with 1728? Should I plan on picking up two packs of White Labs Edinburgh just in case?

Thanks

I haven't used 1728, so I can't say how fast it should start.

I notice a distinct change in color in my starters. The wort turns from dark and somewhat clear to a creamy colored milky liquid. I also look for tiny bubbles rising in the wort. You may need a flashlight to make them show.

The other thing to do is take a gravity reading. If you have a refractometer you don't have to use much of the wort for a sample but you will need to make a conversion for the presence of alcohol. You don't really need to be accurate, just to know if the gravity is dropping.

When I plan a brew day and need a starter to finish on time, I always have some dry yeast on hand as a backup.

Just used it in a wee heavy 3 weeks ago. Bought it locally, and made a starter with it about 48 hours before pitching. It was active within 12 hrs in the starter. My only experience with it.

Used it for the first time today myself. When it arrived last week it was "coolish", meaning something less than body temperature. I pitched it in a 2L starter and it never developed an actual krausen, just a thin ring of bubbles around the perimeter which I've experienced with other yeasts as well. I let that ferment out, decanted (no cold crash necessary, floccs like mad) and split the result into two 2L starters. Let that ferment out and had a good 150ml of yeast to pitch in to the Wee Heavy I did today as well as another 50 ml to save.

So my experience is that it doesn't go crazy in a starter like say 1318, but if you at least got some bubbles and some visible growth at the bottom of the vessel you're probably ok...

Thanks everyone. I had nothing, so to be safe I built a starter out of the White Labs I picked up from my local store. I'm brewing a hefe at midnight so I can get my Christmas ale done tomorrow. Thank you U10 soccer for the midnight brew session!

Back