Wyeast 1450 ("Denny's Favorite 50 Ale") - Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
Good Morning! Planning next Saturday's brew, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout. I've done it before with Wyeast 1335 per the original recipe, but see that Yooper and others now use Wyeast 1450. I like the descriptions of more maltiness and fuller mouthfeel, but am a little concerned by the numerous posts (on HBT and elsewhere) saying that 1450 under-attenuated. If you've used it, what was your experience, especially in that regard and flocculation?

Good Morning! Planning next Saturday's brew, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout. I've done it before with Wyeast 1335 per the original recipe, but see that Yooper and others now use Wyeast 1450. I like the descriptions of more maltiness and fuller mouthfeel, but am a little concerned by the numerous posts (on HBT and elsewhere) saying that 1450 under-attenuated. If you've used it, what was your experience, especially in that regard and flocculation?
I've made that recipe with 1450, it was really good especially after about a month in the bottles. I've used 1450 a few times, the beers turn out well, but it is a finicky yeast to me. It does seem to under attenuate, perhaps that adds to the malty character it is known for. It also is sensitive to temp. I've listened to a bunch of podcasts where Denny talks about keeping his fermenter @ 64* for the entire fermentation and has great success with it. I can't get it to start fermenting under about 66*. I've never noticed any off flavors with it, and like I said the beers have all turned out well, but I personally prefer working with other yeasts. You should maybe try a split batch and see which yeast you like better.

Cheers!

I like the descriptions of more maltiness and fuller mouthfeel, but am a little concerned by the numerous posts (on HBT and elsewhere) saying that 1450 under-attenuated.

Aren't those the same thing? If you overattenuate you get thin beer. Underattenuate you get thick beer with a malty character.

Aren't those the same thing? If you overattenuate you get thin beer. Underattenuate you get thick beer with a malty character.

I'd tend to think so too, but some have made the point that other yeast-related factors can influence mouthfeel etc with the same grainbill. And some, including Yooper, have mentioned the increased mouthfeel while still getting the expected attenuation. But enough have talked about underattenuation that I may want to go with something else.

Last edited:
The last beer I made with it was a version of Janet's Brown. Took it from 1.062 to 1.017.
It does give a nice mouthfeel.

I’ve used it numerous times. I’ve found that when I get it, it isn’t very fresh. I tend to make an oversized starter. I use it in my stouts almost always. I’ve never had it cause me any issues when using in regular gravity on initial pitch. I had it under attenuate when I pitched it in my RIS on initial pitch. When using on any high gravity beer, I want it to be off of a harvest or fresh cake. I love the yeast, no complaints here. I generally use it like any ale, keep it at 65 and warm when it slows.

Latest posts

Back