WYEAST 1338 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerrun

Reaction score
Hey to all. New guy with question about WYEAST 1338 EURO ALE smack pack. I am 5 days into primary and this is the slowest fermentation I have experienced out of three batches I have made. In my life.
I'm brewing a dopplebock and pitched an ale yeast because I'm not set up to lager. (Just yet.) 2" of krausen. Nice frosted cake on bottom. But not much activity @ airlock. 12 hours after pitching It started fermenting slowly. Then never shifted gears. About 5-6 burps per minute from day 1. Yeast was fresh. Dated Dec. 8 08. Pack expanded as should after 4-5 hours. Room Temp. 65-70deg. Is it just the nature of the ybeast? Thanks. And if this is a repeated question. Sorry.

A question asked is only dumb to those who know.

Wait a couple days more and check your gravity. Airlock activity is a bad measure of yeast activity, especially in a bucket which has lots of potential leaks (though you sound like you are using a carboy). It's right to use your senses but when things don't add up get a hydrometer reading-- that you can hang your hat on.

Be patient with it. I used that yeast once and fermentation was slow for me also. It actually got stuck at 1.020 so I racked it, which revived fermentation and brought it down a few more gravity points. Just give it two weeks in primary, check gravity and if it's at or close to FG rack to secondary for two more weeks. In the future, do a starter anytime you use liquid yeast.

Back