Wyeast 1275 in big beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwm1485

Reaction score
Im going to be making an imperial porter next weekend. I have a slurry of wyeast 1275 thames valley from a porter that was packaged about a week ago. Anyone know if this yeast would be able to stand up to a high OG beer?

Also I have never repitched a slurry so any advice on that would also help. Thanks

Im going to be making an imperial porter next weekend. I have a slurry of wyeast 1275 thames valley from a porter that was packaged about a week ago. Anyone know if this yeast would be able to stand up to a high OG beer?

How high?

I've recently brewed a robust porter with 1275 and it is an OK yeast but it takes a long time to flocc and clear. Until then it can taste muddy. By my calculations a moderately good attenuation of 74% would give you an FG of 1.030 (pretty thick and sweet) and raise you to about 11.3% abv. However, 1275 is only rated to 10% so it probably wouldn't get all the way down to 1.030 (more likely go no lower than 1.040). I might look for another yeast. Have you thought about wlp007?

I've recently brewed a robust porter with 1275 and it is an OK yeast but it takes a long time to flocc and clear. Until then it can taste muddy. By my calculations a moderately good attenuation of 74% would give you an FG of 1.030 (pretty thick and sweet) and raise you to about 11.3% abv. However, 1275 is only rated to 10% so it probably wouldn't get all the way down to 1.030 (more likely go no lower than 1.040). I might look for another yeast. Have you thought about wlp007?

Most yeasts will go higher than the official rating as long as you pitch lots.
007 would be a good choice.

Back