Wyeast 1272 - weird fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chungking

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been brewing for a couple of years and I have a question about Wyeast American ale II 1272 yeast. I usually use US05 in pretty much everything, as I mostly make ipa's. I just made a karma citra all grain recipe from northern Brewer. Everything went good, got an OG of 1.055. It's been fermenting for 2 weeks at 64-66 degrees F. Pretty normal fermentation to begin with, but I'm noticing the yeast isn't dropping out, like it usually does after 1-2 weeks in primary. In fact, it all seems to be collecting at the top and not clearing. I was going to dry hop soon, but I don't want to with all the huge globs of yeast at the top. Never had a beer do this, but I've never used Wyeast 1272 either.

Should I wait another week? Open her up and stir it gently? Should I just go ahead and dry hop? It's just weird and its bothering me. Doesn't look like an infection, just what the bottom of the fermenter looks like, except at the top. I'll try and post a picture tomorrow.

Thanks!

that is strange. I use 1272 a lot and it usually drops clear . I find that it clears better than US-05.

So I opened it up to take a hydro reading. Smelled and tasted fine. I broke up the yeast on top by gently stirring with the hydrometer. It seemed to break up on and sink. The reading read 1.014, so it did ferment ok. Closed it back up and went to sleep.

Just woke up, and it appears the yeast floated back up. It's not as bad as before I broke it up, but there's still a lot of yeast up there for 2 weeks in primary. Below are some pics.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446804580.411759.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446804663.433704.jpg
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446804688.736939.jpg

There is a lot of bubbles in there also. Perhaps the CO2 coming out of solution floating the cakes of yeast.

There is a lot of bubbles in there also. Perhaps the CO2 coming out of solution floating the cakes of yeast.

I saw that. I'm guessing it's still fermenting if it's still producing CO2, but the airlock hasn't done much in the last week. Two weeks in primary and I'd imagine fermentation is done, but like I said never used this yeast before. I'll take another gravity reading tonight and maybe stir it up again. I want to dry hop soon...

I don't have too much to add that's helpful but I did just made this recipe about a month ago and also used 1272. I left it in primary for 3 weeks and dry hopped in primary. Then cold crashed with gelatin for 3 days. It cleared up very well and looked nothing like that.

Did another hydro reading last night. Looks like it may have dropped a point or two. I'm going to give it 1 more day then dry hop.

Those look more like coagulated proteins. It happens with certain grains.

Here is a pic od a saison that I made using Czech pils. The proteins just clumped together. It ended up being one of the clearest brews I have eve made.

image.jpg

Back