WYeast 1272 recipe needed urgently

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GQT

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I smacked a pack of 1272 by an accident :(
Now I urgently need some simple recipe with this yeast BUT preferably NOT APA and NOT IPA.
Thing is I am brewing a double batch of APA today (2x5gal) and I already have 2x2L flasks with other yeast starter on the mixers... smacking that 1272 was just a sudden twitch. But now I need to find a way to utilize it. I will pour it into another 2L flask with DME wort so it could survive the night in the fridge but I definitely need something to do with it tmrw.
I have brewed since end of summer last year so I don't have many recipes in my head - hence I need your help.
I have some basic grain, 2 row pale ale, some crystals and caramels, pilsener malt, errr... some carared, some choco, NO roasted anything, NO wheat malt (but wheat flakes yes), and I'm not prepared to brew tmrw but I will have to - so I'm looking for something really basic but enjoyable.
Pls help asap, I'm beginning my brew right now and will have no time to think about it :) so I have to totally rely on your help boys.
Thanks everyone!

If it were me, I'd make a starter from it. That would give you plenty of time to formulate a good recipe for it, and then use it. If you make 20 gallon batches, a starter is a good idea anyway.

If it were me, I'd make a starter from it. That would give you plenty of time to formulate a good recipe for it, and then use it. If you make 20 gallon batches, a starter is a good idea anyway.

+1 On a related note....I kind of like this idea. Don't know what to brew all the time.....start a yeast going and let the forum decide your fermenters fate!
:mug:

Seems like you've got most of what you need. Try something that sounds good if you want to brew. I've made a couple awesome recipes that way... A couple out of like, a lot... Can't go wrong with some base malts and a good yeast tho. (You got hops or something right?)

O and after it has swelled, it should survive for quite a little while in the fridge if making a starter later. Most I've done is 3 weeks tho.

Chin Up! What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger! (Hopefully)

Why would you have to dump it "down the hole" as you say? If you can't use it just crash it, decant and pour the yeast off into a clean sanitized mason jar and stick it back in the fridge to use another day.

Why would you have to dump it "down the hole" as you say? If you can't use it just crash it, decant and pour the yeast off into a clean sanitized mason jar and stick it back in the fridge to use another day.

I did that today. Made a starter of 007 and wont need it for awhile so I cold crashed, decanted some of the top and put into 3 jars.....now I have three pitches for starters out of the one vial.

Thanks everyone guys, I chose the easiest way, as @BaylessBrewer suggested - stored the slurry till better time.
Better time will probably come in the beginning of March, and that red ale idea sounds interesting to me, thx @madcowbrewing. Never brewed red ale before but used to think I need toasted/roasted barley for it and can't do without. That true? Can carared serve a decent replacement?
Porter would be good, too, in case red ale drops out.
Just suddenly felt brewing two days in row would be not what I really liked about this hobby ;)
Once again, thanks everyone.

Latest posts

Back