Wyeast 1099 started then stopped within 24 hrs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dweb911

Reaction score
So i brewed up my second all grain batch saturday all went well and hit my og at 1.060. Pitched wyeast 1099 without a starter. Airlock went crazy after 12 hours and lasted for about 24. Now no activity in airlock and Carboy temp is at ambient temp of 70. Down from 75. Wondering if fermentation lasted long enough or if I should open up and check the spgrav? I use a plastic bucket do i cannot see the krausen.

I would bet something is going on in there.
I would probably wait at least a few more days (I usually wait at least 10 or more depending on the beer and what it's doing) to check the gravity.
You can do it now if it puts you at ease. But even if it is close to or at FG, 24 hours isn't really enough time for the yeast to complete their work.

Yeah. It looks like some activity may be taking place but slowly. I'm gonna wait it out. My optimism is telling me to relax and drink a homebrew and that this batch was super fermented due to higher pitching temp and is now mulling the rest. It smells like activity is going on. But in the future I'm doing a starter for sure.

I've only been brewing for a few months, but I do know one thing. Lack of airlock activity doesn't mean that fermentation is finished. Since you had good airlock activity the yeast are alive and I think you will be fine. I would just leave it alone and let it keep working.

Agreed. I looked today. Pushed on the top an got most co2 to equal out. Then sat and watched. After a few seconds it began to rise again. Then it tipped so there was a small outlet for the co2 escape without bubbles. Yeasties and Freakin sneakies.

Yeah. It looks like some activity may be taking place but slowly. I'm gonna wait it out. My optimism is telling me to relax and drink a homebrew and that this batch was super fermented due to higher pitching temp and is now mulling the rest. It smells like activity is going on. But in the future I'm doing a starter for sure.

I think the 75 degree temps meant the yeast went really fast, and it is finishing up now.

Latest posts

Back