Wyeast 1098 starter...no activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
Made a 1l starter last night, placed on stir plate and checked this morning. I'm not seeing any activity. Or krausen.
The date on the yeast was March, so 5 months.
Should I be concerned, or is there usually a lag time for the 1098 strain?

Thanks for any responses.

Rick

If it was stored refrigerated and didn't get frozen or overheated since manufacturing, it should revive and grow new cells. Viability of a 5-month old pack is likely no more than 20-30% (HomeBrewDad's calc), possibly less. It may take a few days.

I had starters from old yeast spin for 4-7 days before the color change took place. It should turn significant lighter, and milky. Then you know it all worked. Once that color change happens give it another 24 hours (1 day). Then cold crash, decant and pitch the slurry.

Now a 1 liter starter is good for step-up, but a bit too skimpy for most 5 gallon batches. Are you using a yeast calculator?

Once you grow a fresh culture from a starter, now containing good viable yeast, stepping up to a larger starter is much easier. You can usually accomplish the next growth step within 24-48 hours.

Once that 1 liter starter is done, cold crash, decant, and make a subsequent 2-3 liter starter for pitching while saving some out in a mason jar to make a starter from for a next brew. And so on. Store yeast slurries under the used starter beer (not water), that's best.

Last edited:
If it was stored refrigerated and didn't get frozen or overheated since manufacturing, it should revive and grow new cells. Viability of a 5-month old pack is likely no more than 20-30% (HomeBrewDad's calc), possibly less. It may take a few days.

I had starters from old yeast spin for 4-7 days before the color change took place. It should turn significant lighter, and milky. Then you know it all worked. Once that color change happens give it another 24 hours (1 day). Then cold crash, decant and pitch the slurry.

Now a 1 liter starter is good for step-up, but a bit too skimpy for most 5 gallon batches. Are you using a yeast calculator?

Once you grow a fresh culture from a starter, now containing good viable yeast, stepping up to a larger starter is much easier. You can usually accomplish the next growth step within 24-48 hours.

Once that 1 liter starter is done, cold crash, decant, and make a subsequent 2-3 liter starter for pitching while saving some out in a mason jar to make a starter from for a next brew. And so on. Store yeast slurries under the used starter beer (not water), that's best.

Yea -- I've been thinking stepping up to a 2L starter. Thanks for the info. I'll check it tonight when I get home.
My plan was to brew tomorrow morning, but looks like I may delay at least one more day. Worst case, I can delay until next weekend.

I have never used a yeast calculator. I should look into it. I've never had an issue reaching my FG, but planning on doing some higher gravity beers...so, makes sense on the calculator.

Thinking back -- I'm pretty sure I've used this strain before and might have experience the same issue with the starter. I'll check my notes.

Yea -- I've been thinking stepping up to a 2L starter. Thanks for the info. I'll check it tonight when I get home.
My plan was to brew tomorrow morning, but looks like I may delay at least one more day. Worst case, I can delay until next weekend.

I have never used a yeast calculator. I should look into it. I've never had an issue reaching my FG, but planning on doing some higher gravity beers...so, makes sense on the calculator.

Thinking back -- I'm pretty sure I've used this strain before and might have experience the same issue with the starter. I'll check my notes.
If it's continuously stirring it should perk up, alas, it may take some extra time. Once it's "thick" and milky, you can pitch it as is, without crashing and decanting. A fresh starter is at its peak in viability and ready to chomp.

Once your starter has become lighter in color and milky, reproduction is fast, doubling cell count every 4-6 hours. That's the tell tale sign, and you can brew. Let it stir as long as you can, until your wort has chilled and you oxygenated/aerated it well. Then pitch the whole flask. Or transfer to a larger flask, add some extra (stronger) wort to bring gravity up to 1.040 again, and let her rip while you're brewing and chilling.

HomeBrewDad's yeast calculator shows growth to 184 billion cells from your pack in a 1 liter 1.040 starter. You'd need around 193 billion for 5 gallons of 1.055 wort, so that's close. Good oxygenation surely helps with early yeast activity, reducing lag time.

When you think about it, most packs contain 100-125 billion cells at production date, downhill from there on. They also claim one pack can inoculate a 5 gallon batch of beer (no gravity mentioned). Imagine some brewer being unaware of starters and pitches his 5 month old pack (like yours) on blind faith... With your 1 liter starter (as long as it got "thick" and milky) you're at least 4x the cell count ahead, and they're viable as can be.

When pressed for time, read up on "shaken not stirred" starters. Use a gallon jug with 1 quart of 1.040 wort and shake vigorously and often. Heck, take it to work. ;)

If it's continuously stirring it should perk up, alas, it may take some extra time. Once it's "thick" and milky, you can pitch it as is, without crashing and decanting. A fresh starter is at its peak in viability and ready to chomp.

Once your starter has become lighter in color and milky, reproduction is fast, doubling cell count every 4-6 hours. That's the tell tale sign, and you can brew. Let it stir as long as you can, until your wort has chilled and you oxygenated/aerated it well. Then pitch the whole flask. Or transfer to a larger flask, add some extra (stronger) wort to bring gravity up to 1.040 again, and let her rip while you're brewing and chilling.

HomeBrewDad's yeast calculator shows growth to 184 billion cells from your pack in a 1 liter 1.040 starter. You'd need around 193 billion for 5 gallons of 1.055 wort, so that's close. Good oxygenation surely helps with early yeast activity, reducing lag time.

When you think about it, most packs contain 100-125 billion cells at production date, downhill from there on. They also claim one pack can inoculate a 5 gallon batch of beer (no gravity mentioned). Imagine some brewer being unaware of starters and pitches his 5 month old pack (like yours) on blind faith... With your 1 liter starter (as long as it got "thick" and milky) you're at least 4x the cell count ahead, and they're viable as can be.

When pressed for time, read up on "shaken not stirred" starters. Use a gallon jug with 1 quart of 1.040 wort and shake vigorously and often. Heck, take it to work. ;)

Everything went well. Thanks for the advice!
I delayed my brewing for one day thinking that would improve cell reproduction. I'm glad I did.
One thing I will say, my OG was 1.070, which was expected. I did oxygenate (oxygenation wand) the wort once I added the yeast.
Shooting for about a 1.020 FG.
By the next day, it was fermenting vigorously.
Definitely will use the yeast starter calculator next time.

Yup, one extra day on the stir plate can make all the difference between a severe underpitch and just right. Oxygenation really helps in quick starts, reducing lag times.

:rock:

Back