Wyeast 1098 pitched @ 78

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beershralper

Reaction score
So I realize I pitched warm, but now what?

All Grain
1.065 og
5 gallons in 6 gal carboy
1.8l starter @ 1.040 og, stirplate for 36 hours, decanted

Shook carboy to aerate
5pm pitched into wort @78 deg
shook several more times
9pm ferm and krausen started up to blow off hose already
ferm room is @ 65 deg (7x14 room with window ac set at 60deg)
6am blowing off and bubbling away fermometer 74
6pm 1gal blow off bubble every 3 sec krausen 1 inch (see pic) fermometer 74
6am 1gal blow off bubble every 5 seconds krausen 1/2 inch fermometer 72 looks as though yeast is stating to settle out beer is clear at top 1/4 inch

Did I screw it up, and/or can I fix it?
How estery might it be?

Thanks for the help

IMG_0298.jpg

Not sure if there is much you can do at this point since you are well under way. I normally use 3 gallon better bottles (for 5 gallon batches) and what I do to cool it down if it gets too warm is make a "water jacket" with some cold packs and water--then put the better bottle in the bucket.

You may get some off flavors with 1098 (its a strain I rarely use because I have never really had good results with it).

Give it some time and try it. BTW, What type of beer is it?

Submerge it in a bucket/tub/bathtub of cool water. That's the quickest/easiest way to cool things down quickly, as opposed to cooling your ambient temps, which at this point will have little effect on your fermenter's temperature. Surrounding it completely with 60-65 degree water will keep the fermenter very close to 65 degrees (may be a bit warmer with a vigorous fermentation, but certainly cooler than you have now.)

Search "Swamp Cooler". You can even add ice to the water bath (either cubes, or freeze some water bottles for cheap and easy re-use) and wrap your fermenter in a wet towel to bring temps down even further. Try to do it as soon as possible. It's most important to keep fermentation in the optimal temperature range during the first few days (after everything settles down, 70+ won't do as much "harm")

Good luck, and don't worry, your beer with be fine!!

You screwed up. You can't fix it. It would be best to cool it down but the damage is probably already done. That doesn't mean it will be bad, just not as good as it could have been if it fermented cooler.

I'd probably keep it in the low 70's at this point. Dropping it into the 60's might flocc the yeast. Like Logan said, the damage is likely done. At least if you keep them in suspension they might clean some of it up.

TriggerFingers- Its the CYBI Arrogant Bastard II, with carafaIII and all amarillo.

Thanks for everyones input.

When I got home tonight (6pm) the room was 65 and the fermometer read 68, had bubbles every 30 seconds in a 2/3 full gallon blow off carboy, room ac was set to 62.

I tuned the ac up to 65 to keep the beer from coming down to low, hopefully it attenuates fully, thats my biggest concern right now. Gonna try and keep it at 68.

Thanks again

Back