Wyeast 1010 - 36 hrs with no activity??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkent1978

Reaction score
Has anyone had a similar experience? The pouch was 4 months old when pitched...I know that after 2 months you should expect a longer lag time but this is draggin out!

Pitched at 72 degrees in 5 gallons of wort aerated with pure O2 for 3 minutes....should I run the the LHBS and grab some fresh yeast?

If it was 4 months old, and you didn't make a starter, then I'd be surprised if it did start within 36 hours. You need to exercise a bit of patience. RDWHAHB.

-a.

What do you consider a sign of fermentation anyway?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-show-visible-signs-43635/, and by visible signs we don't necessarily mean a bubbling airlock.

It IS a sticky at the top of the beginners forum for a reason, afterall. ;)

As already stated in the linked sticky, Fermentation often can take up to three days to start. And by visible signs they do NOT mean airlock bubbling.

After 72 hours take a hydro reading....until then relax.

You might want to learn how to make starters. Since I have been doing this I see active fermentation in 6-8 hours of pitching on average.

I normally make starters...stumbled upon a free evening and didn't have time to this go 'round unfortunately (with a relatively low target OG I thought I'd be ok). I was basing my "inactivity" off of hydrometer reading...my question was more around this particular strain of yeast and whether it is known for having extended lag times or early expiration...I'll check the stickies in the beginners forum next time : )

Back