Wyeast 1007 Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
I'll be doing a blonde ale with 1007. First time using this yeast so I'm looking for suggestions. The grain bill is roughly 49% marris otter, 49% Golden promise, 2% honey malt. Hops are 100% Mandarina Bavaria in FWH and whirlpool. Mash at 156°.

Thinking about a fermentation temp around 65°, or higher? I want a bit of fruitiness out of the yeast. I've also heard this one can blow out of the air lock. Any experience to share? Also hoping to get this one pretty clear, even though flocculation is low.

Thanks.

I've used that strain a few times on 'Aletoberfests' over the years and it does create a lot of krausen so you'll need ample headspace. I had this happen when I fermented as close to 60 as possible. It made a good bear though. Also used that yeast with a Kolsch with good results.

65/66 will get you some fruit, not a lot but some. Yeadtvis a little slow and yeah doesn’t flocc at all. You’ll either need to Lager it for a while or fine it for clear beer.

Good to know on the flocc issue. I realize this is probably the wrong yeast for a clear beer but I'm more interested in using it to see what it tastes like. I'll hit it with gelatin to try and clear it up a little.

It's been a LONG time since I used it, but from my recollections, don't expect much fruitiness and prepare for a blow-off -- no matter how much head space you give it. It's a great Kölsch/Alt yeast.

Good to know, I wasn't expecting a huge krausen.

I'm fermenting an Alt with 1007 currently. It's been sitting in the mid-60's. Since I don't have a fermentation chamber it's been difficult controlling the temp. Generally speaking how well does 1007 do in that range? Wyeast states the range up to 68. Does it produce off or undesirable flavors? Thanks.

Excellent yeast. Tastes like Wonder bread. I haven't used it warm yet, but next time I will give it a try. I recently used S-189 lager yeast at 65 F and it turned out great. I get the feeling cold temperatures aren't truly required. Cool in the 60s, yes. Cold in the 50s, maybe not.

I fermented both the sour and the blonde@ ~65-66°. Not sure I can comment on the yeast's contribution towards the flavor profile, but I will say that everything turned out just fine. Also, I didn't get a huge krausen at all and the blonde cleared very quickly (2 weeks) once it was in the keg.

I'm fermenting an Alt with 1007 currently. It's been sitting in the mid-60's. Since I don't have a fermentation chamber it's been difficult controlling the temp. Generally speaking how well does 1007 do in that range? Wyeast states the range up to 68. Does it produce off or undesirable flavors? Thanks.

In my experience it behaves fairly well in the low to mid 60s. I never really got undesirable flavors in my Alt or Rauchbier fermented with 1007. The only thing that stuck out for me was how massive the krausen was and how long it lasted...it took a few weeks of cold conditioning, but eventually the yeast drops like a rock and leaves crystal clear beer.

Thanks for the good information. I have been a little worried that the temperature issue might cause significant issues.

Oh yeah, be prepared for a blowoff. I just used 1007 on a Gose, started it at 58*F and boy is it active. This one caused a bit of a mess in my chamber due to the blowoff. Granted, my carboy was pretty full, but it still blew out more stuff through the tube than I expected...

20180702_191312.jpg
20180702_191319.jpg

Back