WY3725PC vs. WLP072

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbnj

Reaction score
So since I started homebrewing every year I have made a Holiday Ale, as I am sure many of you do. First year was a Belgian Dark Strong Ale, last year was a Chocolate Belgian Stout. This year I am planning to do a Bier De Garde. I haven't finalized the recipe yet but probably some blend of pale ale malt, caramunich, midnight wheat, flaked wheat, and munich. I am shooting for closer to a brown ale, might add roasted chestnuts at some point, and will cork and cage the bottles. I have obtained both yeasts and read a lot about both of them. It seems that WLP072 is a more neutral of the 2 relatively speaking and 3725 is actually a saison type strain. What I am looking for is a direct comparison so has anyone brewed with both? How do they compare? Which would you choose for a beer that you are sharing with a variety of people, not just beer geeks? Thanks!

I have no clue as to your yeasts, but based on your comment, the WLP one would probably be more popular on the face of it. Depends a bit on the crowd drinking it, but cleaner seems to win over more fruity/earthy.

Today will be my first Saison. A dark heather spiced ale. Will be using 3726 and 3711 side by side 5 gallons.

3726 is farmhouse ale and more fruity/earthy slower finisher
3711 french saison cleaner spicier and fast ferment (a monster?)

i think the 3724 is in the middle flavorwise not sure about the 3725

I have used 3726 before and really liked it, I used it in a dark farmhouse IPA. I actually am planning to use the WLP Saison Blend on a winter saison which is supposed to be a blend of their equivalents of 3711, 3724, and a 3522.

I have used 3726 before and really liked it, I used it in a dark farmhouse IPA. I actually am planning to use the WLP Saison Blend on a winter saison which is supposed to be a blend of their equivalents of 3711, 3724, and a 3522.

Dark farmhouse IPA. That sounds like what I should brew next! What fermentation temp would you use with the 3726, or ferment schedule?

My heather saison smells just great. I used fresh heather from the florist, along with some black pepper and green cardamom. Goldings, Tettnanger, and a bunch of fresh hops from the garden. The 3726 took off I got a big fresh pitch. The 3711 was a little sluggish, an old smack pack and I cooled the water bath a little low at around 65. But yesterday took it outside a while and by morning both up to about 77 in the carboys.

The WLP blend sounds interesting. Sounds like you've done a bunch of saisons, this is all new to me.

Let me just say that a friend of mine who is very critical of my brews and whose beer taste I respect said he would pay 12 bucks a bomber for that beer I brewed. I don't recall the exact ferment temp but I brewed it in June and I put one of those silver carboy covers on it to keep the temp up. It had a really nice earthy quality. I wish I still had some 3726 it would go well in my winter saison with munich and carafa special 1 and 2.

Are you guys talking about 3725 or 3726?

I really liked 3725 but 3726 was not as good for my taste. Since the Op asked about 3725 I would highly recommend it. I am doing a beire de garde with it next week. Great yeast. I am going hatvest some after this brew so I can use it again without waiting for it to get in the rotation again.

Let me just say that a friend of mine who is very critical of my brews and whose beer taste I respect said he would pay 12 bucks a bomber for that beer I brewed. I don't recall the exact ferment temp but I brewed it in June and I put one of those silver carboy covers on it to keep the temp up. It had a really nice earthy quality. I wish I still had some 3726 it would go well in my winter saison with munich and carafa special 1 and 2.

I used 2 lbs munich in a 10 gal batch, castle pils, carafa II, special B, caramel 120, and some chocolate. Much of the ferment was lower temps on the 3726 at mid to high 6os but the temperature peak was about 82 after I sat it in the sun one afternoon and enclosed the carboy. I am a low temp guy I guess, cleaner is better. The 3711 jumped up to 78 F where it has sat for a couple days. It's going to be an interesting comparison.

Are you guys talking about 3725 or 3726?

I really liked 3725 but 3726 was not as good for my taste. Since the Op asked about 3725 I would highly recommend it. I am doing a beire de garde with it next week. Great yeast. I am going hatvest some after this brew so I can use it again without waiting for it to get in the rotation again.

He started with the 3725, then I threw in the 3726 which is what I just used. What do you like more about the 3725 than the 3726?

I pitched a healthy amount of 3725 into a Christmas Saison on Saturday at 63. I let it creep up to 66 Saturday night and then up to 70 last night. I'm going to let it go where it wants now but I'm smelling a good deal of sulfur, is this normal with this strain?

Back