Wtf Ups????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EuBrew

Reaction score
I ordered my supplies from AHS this week and for some stupid reason the package arrived in my city, then traveled 3 hours north of here yesterday only to arrive back here. WTF??? :mad: Why is it necessary to spend an additional day in transit???????? The good news, it's still on time for delivery

Two years ago, DHS delivered an overnight envelope with a major check in it to a neighbor *8* houses down!!! The package was addressed correctly. As you eloquently wrote - WTF?!?!?

I wouldn't be as pissed if I didn't live in a city that has a maior distribution hub for ups, it's just retarded to waste time like that. I mean this is serious stuff!! I'm brewing for crying out loud!!:D

I used to work for UPS, and in major cities, they also have a couple of small dist hubs for outlying areas. In San Antonio, it arrives at the main hub completely clear across town East of me. Then it travels NW of me to a smaller hub. I had 2 deliveries last week, and it was weird cuz one came from 1 the main hub and the other was delivered as usual from the smaller hub.

I've never recieved a delivery that didn't come from the main hub, ever. I could understand if it came in and went across town, or up to an hour away, but it got to Columbus, then went to freaking Toledo and back to Columbus??? Like I said, WTF. I also just got my FedEX shipment which was smooth as butter as always. I hate to cut a vendor I've heard good things about out of the loop, but I may have to bucause of UPS.

What now, I left earlier to run to the LHBS to exchange a vial of yeast that was out of date the the UPS truck was pulling up as I left so I thought sweet, I can get started when I get home!! WRONG!!! WTF??? Checked and no package when I got home, and tracking still says out for delivery. I hate UPS.

Well, like I said, I worked there for 8 years in the sort, and my brother works for Fedex. When I worked there, I was like man, there are a lot of mis sorted packages. Most of the package sorting is done by hand, so human error is inevitable. I never cared for UPS when I was working there.

I was young then, and over the years have done a ton of online orders fom Buy.com, Amazon, Newegg and all I can say is that **** happens, but I really do think that my image of them has grown, I love them now. I havnt had anything arrive late or damaged even when I am expecting it to.

As long as the expected delivery date hasnt changed, I would think you'd be okay with that. Think of it this way, they made a mistake and corrected it. Now USPS, there's something to b*tch, there tracking is just plain laughable :)

I'm a UPS man. There might not be a trailer that goes between the building that it arrived at and your UPS building even in the same city. There are probably two or more in Columbus OH. I know that if I order something from the town over or up, the package has to travel 45 mins north, then 20 mins one town on the other side of me and finally to my steps. Of course I sometimes address it to my work address and get it myself before I punch in.

oops just read you're post , sorry! Do you live in an area where they can release the packages when no one is home? Are you sure the UPS truck was pulling up to your place or you just saw him on your street. Funny, cuz I have done the same thing, I actually chased him down, he stopped , nope package wasnt on his truck, it was on a different truck in the area and arrived later that day, different guy.

What now, I left earlier to run to the LHBS to exchange a vial of yeast that was out of date the the UPS truck was pulling up as I left so I thought sweet, I can get started when I get home!! WRONG!!! WTF??? Checked and no package when I got home, and tracking still says out for delivery. I hate UPS.

Relax UPS will get it there today. They probably had a priority delivery.

I know it's not UPS's fault, it's Murphy's. I have 2 brews I'm doing and the ingredients are coming from different vendors. I got my yeast to do my starters from my LHBS and one of them was out of date. Of course the ingredients for the one that was out of date showed up first. It's just frustrating when you see a truck pull up at your neighbors house and your package isn't on the truck, doesn't make any sense to me.

Gene,

As a former UPS employee, I will gladly explain over a pint or two on Monday night how their distribution network is routed. No really I won't bore you with the details just giving you a hard time.

There is a great HBS in Cincy called Listermann Mfg. They have been in business since 91' and have one of the best selection of any HBS I have ever been in, And they do have a mail order service.

http://www.listermann.com/

:D

Gene,

As a former UPS employee, I will gladly explain over a pint or two on Monday night how their distribution network is routed. No really I won't bore you with the details just giving you a hard time.

There is a great HBS in Cincy called Listermann Mfg. They have been in business since 91' and have one of the best selection of any HBS I have ever been in, And they do have a mail order service.

http://www.listermann.com/

:D

Yeah, finding a local mail order place is the best thing to do. I only use Northern Brewer when I have to. I use beer-wine.com whenever I can, it takes one day to get to me and their prices aren't that bad either.

My wife gets medical supplies delivered via UPS and FedEx and we regularly have to walk the neighborhood, knocking on doors to find where they were delivered. And these are only things she needs to, ya know, KEEP LIVING.

It's finally here, the driver said it probably got loaded on the wrong truck. I'll stick with Ed from Brewmasters because he's been tremendous to work with. I have nothing against AHS at all, that's not the point of the rant. They delivered as promised on the date promised and will order from them again if I find something interesting. I guess I get to test my skills with a double batch brew day tomorrow. TGIF!!!!!!:mug:

I had an Oregon>California delivery go Oregon>California>Idaho>Nevada>California or something like that. I'm pretty sure they still made it in the delivery window, it was just a big WTF when I looked at the tracking info.

sometimes its not so much about the most direct route, but the most common/cost effective route taken by UPS. Packages on rigs only go local ( less than a days drive / and back) everything else is Air or Train. Doesnt make sense to you , but for mass packages it makes lots of sense.

In Las Vegas, I lived less than 2 miles from the main post office, south of the airport. My service post office was in North Las Vegas. A club newsletter dropped off at the main took 5 days to get to me.

But nothing beats the company in Hayward, CA that shipped a part to Sunnyvale, CA (about 10 miles) via Seattle, Wa.

It's freakin' amazing that anything gets where it needs to on time. I admire how such a system can reliably deliver package after package day after day and it gets where it needs to. The complexity is amazing but they still work it out... problems like "crap this truck has one too many boxes so how are we going to get THAT one delivered". Or my favorite which was driving around seeing a UPS truck getting towed. :)

Back