WTF? LHBS wont fill the Co2 tank they sold me!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HausBrauerei_Harvey

Reaction score
I went to one of two LHBS shops today (shop A), to get a refill of the 10# tank I purchased there about 2 years ago, purchased on the day I walked in and dropped over 1k in everything I needed for all-grain and kegging.

I've since found another LHBS (shop B) which is closer to my place that is cheaper, but has less selection of grain/hops/yeast.

I went to LHBS shop A today during my lunch break as I was in the area for something else and I needed my 10# tank filled. The only dude working there said 'we only fill 5# tanks, our system is only setup for filling that size, are you sure you bought it here?'

when I assured him this was the case, and the owner himself filled it for me in Nov, could he call the owner and ask him how to fill my tank, he would not do this. I didn't blow up at him, even though I wanted to, I just had to run to LHBS B to get the tank filled.

Now what is my recourse for Shop A?

The only reason I was still going to shop A is they had yeast from a small local supplier and shop B didn't. Now today shop B has this yeast so I don't see a reason to go to shop A ever again, I am really pissed that they wouldn't fill my tank.

I was thinking, am I being crazy, should I write an email to the owner to let him know his stupid worker likely cost him a long time customer? Or am I over-reacting?

I welcome some other opinions here before sending any angry emails.

I went to one of two LHBS shops today (shop A), to get a refill of the 10# tank I purchased there about 2 years ago, purchased on the day I walked in and dropped over 1k in everything I needed for all-grain and kegging.

I've since found another LHBS (shop B) which is closer to my place that is cheaper, but has less selection of grain/hops/yeast.

I went to LHBS shop A today during my lunch break as I was in the area for something else and I needed my 10# tank filled. The only dude working there said 'we only fill 5# tanks, our system is only setup for filling that size, are you sure you bought it here?'

when I assured him this was the case, and the owner himself filled it for me in Nov, could he call the owner and ask him how to fill my tank, he would not do this. I didn't blow up at him, even though I wanted to, I just had to run to LHBS B to get the tank filled.

The only reason I was still going to shop A is they had yeast from a small local supplier and shop B didn't. Now today shop B has this yeast so I don't see a reason to go to shop A ever again, I am really pissed that they wouldn't fill my tank.

I was thinking, am I being crazy, should I write an email to the owner to let him know his stupid worker likely cost him a long time customer? Or am I over-reacting?

I can tell you from experience that he was told that his siphon co2 tank would only do 5# tanks, I was told the same, the trick is to chill the tank before filling it. Most just put a couple oz in and then turn upside down and fully open the valve. The tank should be cold, then fill ASAP as fast as you can fill. I've done 10# tanks just fine. Now anything bigger needs a pump or vacuum to get it all in. They just need training.

I would politely email the owner. It's possible the worker was just misinformed, and giving the owner the chance to explain and/or correct the situation seems more reasonable than boycotting the place forever...

That's the reasonable approach. I would just ask politely if the policy had changed. If it has, no drama, just decide if you still want to use them for the other stuff.

Find a gas supplier (like AirGas) around you, set up an accout (its free), and fill there. I can fill 5# tanks for 10$ opposed to 22$ to swap out a tank at the LHBS. If that isnt an option, stick to shop B for all of your homebrewing needs.

I can tell you from experience that he was told that his siphon co2 tank would only do 5# tanks, I was told the same, the trick is to chill the tank before filling it. Most just put a couple oz in and then turn upside down and fully open the valve. The tank should be cold, then fill ASAP as fast as you can fill. I've done 10# tanks just fine. Now anything bigger needs a pump or vacuum to get it all in. They just need training.

Weird. I have had my 15 filled several times and they didnt use a pump. They did the get it cold and go thing. Then again, I never confirmed that they weighed it afterwards.

$12 for 5# and $20 for 10# here.

Ugh. The swaps for 5 are like 18 or so, the fill for 15 is almost $50. I wish places didnt charge per pound.

I would politely email the owner. It's possible the worker was just misinformed, and giving the owner the chance to explain and/or correct the situation seems more reasonable than boycotting the place forever...

I agree with Brad, it gives the owner the opportunity to offer training to his employee which will benefit the store and customers.

This....
don't burn a bridge without being positive the situation

Here is the reply from the owner: I also did this while juggling a newborn so perhaps that added to the stress. And again if the guy had said: we can only fill 5# tanks now i'll only charge you for 5# then I wouldn't have minded. It was the your'e money is no good here vibe he was sending that PO'd me

response:
I've very sorry to hear that you were so inconvenienced. We made changes in the last year and a half to our CO2 cylinder refill policy based on the consistency of our siphon equipment refill capabilities. We currently only deal and process cylinders 5lbs and under for draft beer systems at both of our locations. We found that the siphon system that homebrew stores have are very irregular for refilling cylinders over 5lbs. I would be curious if you weighed your cylinder on a scale and subtracted the tare weight whether you received a proper refill outside of General Air or Air Gas.

We've taken measures to further educate our part-time staff. The shift manager in "store A" has RE-informed everyone that we make cylinder fills based on weight for cylinders over 5lbs that were purchased by us or anyone that agrees to a refill based on proper weight of refill.

Again I sympathize with you as I also have a new born...and I truly hope that our selection and convenience between our locations will draw you back to us as a customer in the future.

Congrats on your new family member and best wishes.

Cheers,
xxx

Please tell the owner. I feel it's to easy to just walk away from a business and local businesses as they close down have this "What happened? No one had any issues!" because no one complained.

Back